Pre-k

Does anyone know what all kids learn in Pre-k? my little girl is going in august I just wanna know what all they will learn her first year in school.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:41 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• DS is learning to write his name, syllabication, rhyming words, to count to 30, umm they have themes for the week like learning about bears or spring, I can't remember much more but it is a lot of stuff they learn. They aren't usually expected to KNOW it by the end of the year- but at least be familiar with it is the idea
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 5:47 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• The letters of the alphabet, not just singing the ABC's but can she pick out a letter if you say find the leter P. How to spell and write their name. Letter sounds, shapes, colors, how to participate in a group, classroom manners. Alot of it is just preparing for kindergarten and what the will be expected to do in a classroom setting.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 5:53 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• how on earth did you chose a prek to send her to if you haven't toured the school & asked questions to learn about the curriculum? if she's in a full day pre k, at least in my state, the children still need to lay down for quiet rest/nap time. perhaps the most important thing she'll learn is social and developmental. the better her attention span and following directions, the easier time she'll have once she hits kindergarten. some schools have a full curriculum, with social studies, math, english, religion... just scaled back, to a 4 or 5 year old level. they'll be able to spell first and usually last names, and write first names, as well. be familiar with not only number concepts, but their values, as well (ie: this is a number 9. count out 9 objects). RESEARCH!!! good luck!
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 6:11 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• my son's the alphabet and the sounds for the letters, how to write their full name, some theme science/s.s. stuff, sight words, some spelling, numbers he's counting up to 100 and recognizes most of them more often than not, some time skills, lots of socialization, lots on rules and routines, poetry, music, oratory (they recite poems -- soemtimes in show w/parents and sometimes in shows just in school), patterns (ABAB and ABCABC), color recognition and for them color words, ....
    I'd talk to your preschool about the curriculum and also look on your state/district site for their pre-k and K curriculum.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:15 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• The curriculum depends on the school. If the pre-k is through the district, contact them for the curriculum, otherwise contact the individual school.

In my son's school they've done basic shapes, basic colors, letter recognition and phonics, numbers 1-10 at the least, basic math concepts (over/under, all/one, tall/short, etc), introductions to science concepts (worms and decomposition most recently), name recognition, know their address and phone numbers, social skills...
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:15 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Wel,l I don't think I can answer for all pre-k's since mine son goes to a developmental pre-k. He and the other kids learn alot of the same things other kids learn, but they also have PT and OT. And there is a speech therapist that helps the class once a week and sees the students on individual basis as needed.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:15 PM on Apr. 4, 2009