School bans Muslim mother from parents' evening for wearing veil--Is this right?

I know it happened in the United Kingdom, but do you think it is right to ban a mother from entering her child's school because of "safety concerns"?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1167037/School-bans-Muslim-mother-parents-evening-wearing-veil.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:07 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• It is sad, but you must look at the larger picture. I think until the Muslim world expresses outrage and helps to rein in the extremists this will happen. Personally, if it were me, I would be moving heaven and earth to separate myself from the extremists and I would push to see them quashed. JMO

The education and state door can't swing both ways.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 6:12 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• That's religious intolerance and racism. Appalling.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 6:10 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Is that a bomb on your face or a veil? Come on. What can she hid under that?
    Anonymous

• i am part of that muslim world..and we are expressing outrage, but ppl choose not to listen and assume ignorance...it's always easy to point the finger isn't it? and if the school was concerned about safety, they could have asked her..as well as other moms to be checked in another room..but seems like the school was more concerned with the image and potential complaints of others rather than fearing this veiled muslimah was carrying a bomb under her niqab held by her teeth!!!
    islamophobia is very real and quite unwarranted.
    muhajjirah

Answer by muhajjirah at 6:23 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• After 9-11 much changed us americans had to alter our world when we get on a plane and so on so she should alter her lifestyle too,i get sick of people that call certain things racism when infact,it's what we all are dealing with.
    Anonymous

• We do not ask Christians to remove their cross necklaces of John 3:16 t-shirts. We do not ask a conservative Christian woman to put on pants because her skirt offends us. We do not ask the conservative Christian woman to remove her headcovering (yes, some of us wear headcoverings). Yet it is ok to ask a Muslim woman to remove hers? That is intolerance and should not be tolerated. I wear my headcovering with pride and because that is my faith. It is wrong to ask someone of another faith to remove their garment as well.

9/11 was almost 8 years ago now. To fear an entire faith system because of a few extremists???? Sorry, that is wrong. I know many Muslims, both male and female, and they are the most honest, thoughtful, generous, and friendly people I know. We need to learn to be more tolerant of others beliefs rather than imposing ours on them.
    Anonymous

• It's religious intolerance. People can wear bombs strapped around their waist or in their shoes. Women can carry them in their purses.  Are they searching everyone else? Nope.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 7:08 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• i get sick of people that call certain things racism when infact,it's what we all are dealing with.
    ____________________________________________
    I call it what it is. Having to go through a security check to get on a plane is one thing, denying a mother the right to attend a parent meeting at her child's school unless she TAKES OFF her cover is completely different. It makes an assumption based on her religion alone. You are not dealing with it, don't fool yourself.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 7:12 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• In the UK really? that surprises me only because the fact that they seem be gaining more sharia (sp) law everyday.
    kittymommy

Answer by kittymommy at 7:16 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I wouldnt consider it racism, since being muslim is not a race.. but its definitely being discriminating towards their culture.
    BEXi

Answer by BEXi at 7:16 PM on Apr. 4, 2009