Has anyone else heard about the writtings of Christ that the Catholic church is supposed to be hiding?

I am not starting this question to start a fight between Catholics and everyone else. I just want to know if you have heard about them and what you think.
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 6:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• There were a lot of texts that the Catholic church deemed heretical or wrong over the years and had burned or hidden away - even people with the misfortune of being on the wrong side of votes/doctrinal disputes suffered excommunication/death/etc when their beliefs were considered wrong and deemed heresies.
    I haven't heard of anything specifically concerning Christ Himself, but I can see why people might want to keep that on the hush hush, especially if anything at all in said supposed text contradicts anything the Catholic church holds to be absolute.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:23 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Yes, I've heard about it.. Plus the Gnostic Gospels. There are many writings that were not included in the Bible.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Yeah, i have heard of the Gnostic Gospels as well, since I am a Gnostic Chritian. I, obviously, haven't seen them, but I would like to, just to see what they say.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:09 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• So what else is new. I haven't heard about this in particular but who knows what all they have stashed away and have forbidden anyone to see.

A Recovering Catholic
    Anonymous

• The vatacan has an entire library/vault of "texts" that have been deemed heretical or that they see as "evil'... This includes not only Chrisitan writings such as the Gnostic Gospels but also those of many other religions and cultures that could have or would have conflicted the teachings and greed of the church!

The Gnostic Gospels are somewhat available. I have the Gospel of Thomas. which is a part of them. I have also read/seen parts of the Gospel of Mary... Both are beautiful!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Conspiracy Theorist?
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:52 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Nope, not conspiracy theroist. I don't care what they are hiding in the Vatican, really. I was just curious if other moms had heard about them or not. I am going to believe what I believe whether something is written about it or not, so it doesn't really make much of a difference to me.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• And to be far, I don't think they are the only ones hiding info either.
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:56 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Here's the link to the Vatican Secret Archives.

Actually the Vatican does store a lot of ancient documents. They're kept in part to keep them from falling into the the hands of private collectors so they remain accessible to people.  Now some documents are valuable and/or fagile so they are not on display and not available for Joe Blow off the street, but they are available to schoolars.  The National Archive in the US does the same type of thing - as do most libraries and museums.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 8:51 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• As a Catholic the question does sound like a conspircy theory. Really - the idea that Jesus wrote something and the CC currently has it but won't let anyone read it because it's just too explosive or something? Individuals can't agree on what the Bible says - why would the church have to hide documents like that. They could just declare it's not real or provide their own interpretation of it - no need to keep it secretly hidden.

The CC could open the doors and let people search everywhere but there are some who still believe they're hiding something. The thing with conspiracy theories is that their central tenant or key evidence is that there is no evidence because it has been covered up. No amount of evidence to the contrary can disprove them. People are going to believe what they believe.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 8:59 PM on Apr. 4, 2009