Do you make your kid wear a helmet when they ride their bike?

My son is almost 9 and none of his friends wear a helmet. I never wore one when I was young either. Do you think I should makehim wear it?

imberain

Asked by imberain at 6:30 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• for starters: what's the law in your state? in california, anyone under 18 is required by law to wear one. i've NEVER seen it enforced, by the way.

bottom line, what do you feel is right? if you want him to wear one, take him to the store to chose one himself. who cares what his friends are doing? if they all jumped off a bridge, would he jump, too? (sorry, i was channeling my mother!) when you were young, you probably didn't sit in a car seat, or use a seat belt, either, but that's the law now.

do what you feel is best for his safety not his popularity. good luck!
    vickiathome

Answer by vickiathome at 6:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My son is almost 10 - he DOES NOT ride without his helmet. I wont allow it - I remind him that bones can be broken and mended but once the brain is damaged it cannot be mended - reality! I rather be a strict smart mom than a cool mom that will take the chance... regardless of laws - moms should always follow what they feel is safest for their kids.
    AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 6:40 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• No. I have a friend whose husband works as an aid for our congressional representative. He was talking about how much pressure was put on the state legislatures by the companies that make the helmets to make it a law. They only saw $ signs. Then they went back about increasing the weight for being able to be out of a child restaint seat. We actually knew people who had to put 7 and 8 year olds back in a child seat because they were small and didn't meet the 80 pound threshold. It is all about money. The lobbiest get the law-makers to pass the statute which requires us to spend money. No, I don't make my son were a bike helmet.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:14 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• YES!! He snuck out once without his helmet and ended up in the ER strapped to a backboard. Had to have a CAT scan and Xrays, He ended up with a concussion. If he would have had the helmet on, he would have been fine. In our state (WI) it is law to have helmet on while riding a bike until you are 16. Safety first. NO HELMET, NO BIKE, SCOOTER or SKATEBOARD.

jesse123456: Have you been to a Childrens hospital where kids are laying in a bed with head injuries because they didn't have a helmet on? It isn't about money, it's about safety.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 7:19 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• What is more important, your sons brain or the reaction of his friends when they see your son in a helmet?

This is not a question of anyone making money either. If a parent cares for their child as they so should then money is no object when it comes to the child's safety.
    fiercebubbles

Answer by fiercebubbles at 8:30 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• His brain is not any less important now than it was when he was little. It still needs to be protected! He is probably riding more now and is less cautious about his safety than before, so he needs it more! My daughters 10 and 7 both are expected to wear their helmets. Their dad rides a bike and wears his helmet. It is hard when other kids don't wear one, but better safe than sorry!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 9:21 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Where I live (Australia) wearing a helmet is required by law for EVERYONE, adult or child, riding a bike. So yes, absolutely, if my kids are riding they must wear their helmets, regardless of how 'dorky' they look.

Some friends of my parents didn't make their child wear a helmet while he was riding his bike up and down their driveway. He went further than he was supposed to and was hit by a car when he flew out into the street. He has been in a coma for over 10 years now - if he had been wearing a helmet the chances are the injuries would have been much less serious.
    Manth

Answer by Manth at 9:39 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I honestly don't know the law in my state and it doesn't really matter to me. My kids' safety is what does. They ALWAYS wear helmets when on their bikes, rollerblades/skates, skis, and scooters. My kids are 6, 4, and 2, and my 2yo even has a helmet for her bigwheel, just to establish the association of riding and safety and to establish the habit in her. Oh - DH and I also wear helmets - DH when riding his bike/unicycle or rollerblades, and me when I'm rollerblading. (I don't have a bike.) Peace...
    WildKat

Answer by WildKat at 9:50 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Yes because I love my child. Responsible parents make their kids wear bike helmets, it's that simple.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 5:30 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Absolutely, every time. I also wear a helmet because I'm probably more likely to wreck than them! LOL! Oh, and it sets a good example :)
    sparrowprincess

Answer by sparrowprincess at 4:57 PM on Apr. 6, 2009