Do you let your kids play at a friend's house up the road?

My son is almost 9 and he just made some friends that live about 4 houses up the street. He wants to walk or ride his bike up to their house. Do you think he's too young? We live in a residential neighborhood, but some people really speed through here. I see other kids around his age out riding their bikes up and down the road. Maybe I'm being over protective?

imberain

Asked by imberain at 6:33 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• no if he is going to be right up the street i dont see a problem. if you are concerned than when he wants to go walk him up there yourself
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 6:42 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My son is 8. Our neighbor 2 houses down is 7. there is another 7 year old 4 houses down and across the road. All three of the kids are constantly going back and forth from our house to one of theirs. We are in residential neighborhood too, but on a dead end cul-de-sac street....if there were problems with speeders I'd probably feel a little more nervous about letting him run around out there....but he's old enough for sure.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 6:51 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My son is 9 and we live in a very nice neighborhood, but if he wants to play at a friend's up the street I walk with him or drive him up. If he is just going across the street I watch him to make sure he makes it across the street safely. I personally do not think my son is old enough to be out wandering the neighborhood alone. I see several children his age or even younger out by themselves and it makes me sick to my stomach.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 7:06 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Sure - if you haven't met the parents of the new friend, go introduce yourself. My sons walked to their friend's house from the time they were 5. We would stand out and watch them go. The receiving mom would be there to greet. As they got older, I didn't have to watch and she didn't have to greet. He is going to grow up whether you like it or not - help him on his journey.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:09 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Walk with him the first 100 or so times. Get the parents phone # and such. Make sure you go inside so you can "see what kind of people these are"(people that actually keep an eye on their kids or just let them run rampant, etc and if they have alcohol "laying around"). I do this for my son and he is 10. He does not goto ANYONE'S house unless I have met the parents. We live in a close knit neighborhood(apartment complex) and there is no way in hell I let my son go any further than a few buildings down.
    Yes, This may seem strict, but I also have watched too many "lifetime movies". It only takes a second or a blink of an eye mom!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 11:00 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• He's old enough. Just tell him to stay on the sidewalks, or cut through people's lawns if there are no sidewalks. Look both ways if he must cross the street.
    MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 11:16 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Be watchful, but let him have a childhood. If it makes you feel more comfortable have him call when he gets there. Or become friends with the mom and stay on the phone with her till he gets there. Then have her call when he leaves.
    connietrrll

Answer by connietrrll at 12:58 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Depends on whether or not I know the parents of the kid up the road.
    ggad

Answer by ggad at 9:38 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Can you see the house from your home? I used to stand on my front lawn to watch my "big" 9 year old go to his friend's house up the street. However, if he had to cross the road, I would make him cross in front of our house so I could also watch for cars while he crossed. I never let him cross the street by himself. I'm also in a residential area, but the road is rather curvy and there are always cars speeding along. If you have sidewalks, I'd have him ride his bike on the sidewalk - not on the road.
    k8njksmom

Answer by k8njksmom at 2:33 PM on Apr. 6, 2009

• I was always worried about predators so I checked online and found out there was one right on our street so we actually moved to a safer neighborhood. He is 12 now and fortunately his friend lives 2 houses down. I still keep an eye out but we have really drilled safety into him.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 3:49 PM on Apr. 6, 2009