I have my second prenatal app. next week and ill be 13 week and am nervouse i wont hear the heart beat....i know i didnt miscarry is it normal to be scared

missashoo

Asked by missashoo at 6:54 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i was terrified at my appointment where we first heard the heartbeat . heck honestly im scared everytime even now that w wont hear it . im 37 weeks . so id say it is normal . my dr told me lots of women are like that
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 6:58 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Well, at 13 weeks for me, they couldn't find the heartbeat. It was very scary. My DH and I were just kind of looking at each other while our nurse was trying to find it. But she could hear the placenta or something like that, and she said since they are still so tiny that sometimes it's hard to hear them so early. Anyways, she just put me on the ultrasound and there we saw our baby squirming around with their heart beating nice and strong.
    Although I do have to admit, that I'm afraid we won't hear his/her heartbeat again when we got Tuesday. And if we don't, I'm going to ask her if everything's okay developmentally and such. And if she says, yes, then I'll just consider it a blessing that I can actually look at my baby every appointment I have. :D
    LillianG

Answer by LillianG at 7:14 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• i was 18 weeks with my second son before I got to hear the heartbeat. sometimes it takes longer but you n baby will be ok
    mommyof_2boyz

Answer by mommyof_2boyz at 2:45 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• this time around, it has been very difficult to hear the heartbeat. This second appt @ 15 weeks, since all the dr caught was me w/ the doppler, she did another u/s. One healthy baby. It seems that I have an anterior placenta this time. This means that the baby is playing hide and seek with the placenta. Instead of being in front of the placenta, it is behind it. Usually the placenta attaches to the back of the uterus. Sometimes, like this one, it attached to the front. There is no problem to worry about. It doesn't make any problem with the baby. It just makes it hard to get a heartbeat by doppler at the beginning. After the baby grows and get bigger, that will not be as difficult. The other thing that it complicates is that it may take a few weeks longer to be able to feel your tap dancer playing your belly stage. I am now 16.5 weeks and am just now feeling strong taps vs the tiny flutter nudges.
    Don't freak out too much.
    tabbykat6802

Answer by tabbykat6802 at 7:27 PM on Apr. 5, 2009