Is her behavior normal?

This is my first child and she is 14 months old. She has quite the temper when she is upset and will slap me in the face, bite, kick. I'm not sure where she picked up the slapping as she is mostly with me or her grandparents... However, when she bit me once, I popped her in the forehead so that could be it. She also thinks it's humurous to sit near the wall and hit her head on the wall... not hard, but it surely can't feel good! What should I do to correct her behavior when she throws a tantrum like this?

dirty4x4mom

Asked by dirty4x4mom at 7:11 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well... thats the Terrible Two's for ya. At that young age they don't understand WHY they can't slap when they're angry, or WHY not to bang their head on the wall when they're frustrated. You have to repetedly grab her hands and sa "NO." Not yelling, but firmly. Say it because you mean it, and you're in charge. Put her somewhere, maybe where the wall has pillows leaned up against it. Teach her if you hit or bite anybody, you will be sitting in there for time out. It's not cruel, it's necessary. Of course, if you never have done it before, she will resist, but keep being firm and eventually her behavior will be back under control.
    A.W.96

Answer by A.W.96 at 7:16 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I found that picking my child and telling him a firm NO, then sitting him in my lap with my arms wrapped around him (like abear hug - so he couldn't really move or get up)- worked well.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 7:18 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My daughter used to do this. It was sooo very frustrating. At one point, I did ask the doc if something was wrong with her, but the doc said, probably not. She just throws bad tantrums. She told me when it starts, put her in her playpen and walk away. She can't kick or hit the wall. We did. It took about a month, and she stopped all hitting, spitting and kicking. She still throws fits, but nothing like it was. Now it's just your normal, toddler defiance, nothing more. Typically, when the audience is gone (you), the circus (her) stops.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 7:19 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Also, in putting her somewhere like her pack and play, we didn't leave her for the normal "one minute per year old they are" time out. She could get out when she stopped going nuts. Sometimes it was 2 minutes, sometimes it was 5.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 7:21 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Thanks for the advice ladies... it's good to know I'm not the only one out there haha!
    dirty4x4mom

Answer by dirty4x4mom at 7:30 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Yeah, a play pen works wonders! I did it to all three of my kids and they all stopped. well, we are still working with my not quiet 2 year old, but she's getting there.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 8:11 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My 2yo bit a couple of times and I warned her that I was going to put hot sauce in her mouth if she bit me again or anyone for that matter and sure enough she bit and I put a little drop in her mouth - lets just say that was 1 year ago - hasnt bitten once. It may seem harsh but it worked. Also if you knew this one she is such a handful. Afraid of nothing and maybe its because she is the youngest of 3 - dont know. Good luck.
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 8:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My son did / does the exact same thing - as much as I was against it - BITE HER BACK - I did the flick in the mouth but that didn't work - kicking - well my son at 17 months still kicks me during diaper changes and I hold his feet and legs down - he never watches TV and my and my DH get along great but I think he's just frustrated and can't express it any other way
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 4, 2009