How much arguing is normal for a 6yo boy?

He is extremely argumentative and prone to extreme emotional outbursts.

Gretchen2876

Asked by Gretchen2876 at 1:20 PM on Jun. 20, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'm not sure how much is "normal" but I do know that it's normal for kids to test the boundaries. One thing that stops things dead in the track here is NO is NO, and I don't argue back.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 1:24 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• When my son does this (he is now 8), I just tell him to go stand in the corner. It gives him time to calm down and me time to calm down. He may cry and throw a fit in the corner, but I make him stay there until he is calm and has been quiet. When I tell him he can leave the corner, I ask him why he was there in the first place. He does argue less, but it still happens and probably will until he is 18!!!
    smileysmama

Answer by smileysmama at 1:37 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• My six year old is the same way. He will get extremely emotional about silly things and will argue and argue. I think it's just a way of feeling more independent. I try not to argue back if possible (if it's a silly thing like the color of something). Letting him win the silly arguements seems to reduce the important ones when he really does need to listen to mommy.
    jackie1306

Answer by jackie1306 at 1:48 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• He may grow up to be the greatest debater in history so I wouldn't stifle his natural ability to argue. It's possible that questioning the basis of his opinion might get him to think more and sound off less. when he gets older he might do more research on his subject to give better answers. I was a major arguer as a small child too and my grandmother chided me until I stopped. Sad. When I was an adult trying to find myself after my children were grown I took an aptitude test and found I would be great in law where being argumentative was a plus. My gmother made it seem like a character flaw but it turned out that it could have been my greatest asset. She thought I did it to get attention. Maybe I did, who knows? All I know is that if she asked me "why do you think that way about that?" it would have meant more to me and nurtured my natural abilities. good luck on this.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:18 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I'm so glad this question is on there. My son just turned 6 and is the same way all the time but I notice it's worse when he's tired.
    MikkelsMom

Answer by MikkelsMom at 10:11 PM on Jun. 20, 2008