Baby formulas that don't contain cow's milk?

I'm not sure if anyone read a recent article about jet fuel being contained in certain formulas that contain cow's milk. I might have the jet fuel wrong, but it was some type of fuel. What really burns my hide is that they won't disclose which formulas tested positive for this and even stated that the doses included in these formulas are also very harmful to adults. This really ticks me off that the government would hide this. The last I heard, melamine was a danger in formula. Great! I am due to give birth by the end of this month and I'm trying to figure out safe formulas for babies. Does anyone know formulas that don't contain melamine or cow's milk? They don't seem to broadcast this on the cans. ???

momtoblake

Asked by momtoblake at 7:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I did read that there were traces of a chemical that's in rocket fuel, but my husband said the chemical they found is used in lots of stuff, it just sounds scarier to say it's in rocket fuel. I think it's just fear mongering, myself. If it were really a concern they would recall the formula, or tell us which brands at least. But as for safe, I'd use Earth's Best formula, or any soy based if you don't want cow's milk. It really just depends on what your baby will tolerate though.
    mkemom519

Answer by mkemom519 at 7:45 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Can I just ask why you aren't breastfeeding?
    Anonymous

• I was also wondering why you aren't considering breastfeeding. Not to be mean, but if you're worried..you know, it kind of makes sense to at least try it. You haven't even had your baby yet and you're already ruling it out.
    Anonymous

• From what I read, the amount in the formula is NOT harmful to adults or children. It MAY reach levels that could cause concern if contaminated water is used to mix the formula.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:50 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Sometimes people can't or don't want to breastfeed. It's a personal decision.
    Anonymous

• No formula sold in this country contains melamine. That was formula made and sold in China.

Ignore the ignorant anonymous posters. Make the best decisions YOU can make for YOUR family. That's all anyone can ask and should expect.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 7:52 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I understand that, but if they're concerned/complaining about formula being contaminated, then it kinda doesn't make sense. Formula will always be a danger. It will always be a second option, but a danger too.
    Anonymous

• Kaycee14, I did not see an ignorant anonymous poster. I think we were pretty nice about it.
    Anonymous

• theres soy formula
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 7:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• The previous poster was right...fear mongering. The media is so good at it. They blow things way out of proportion to scare people and use that to gain viewership or readership. It's like that with any of the "studies" they report.

You will be fine. The baby will be fine.

This one chemical in trace amounts is in much more than "formula". It's in water and being ingested. Breastfeeding mothers are drinking water, and passing it to their children as well. It's in numerous other things, it's not just in formula and it's not in amounts that are going to cause any harm unless drinking gallons upon gallons upon gallons upon gallons. And before the chemical had a chance to make you sick, you'd die from too much liquid!
    Anonymous