My nieghbors teenagers are constantly swearing around my son.. they are not around my son alot.. just in passing a few minutes everyday.. but i dont like it at all.. do i have right to say something?

I cant bring it up to their mom cuz she is one of those parents whose children can do no wrong so it is pointless.. we are moving in few months but i still dont want my son learning these words from them.. should i tell them to cut it out or let it go?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 7:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• Yea. I think so, just tell them as nicely as you can that you would really appreciate if they could try to watch thier mouths when they are around your child. That kids pick up everything and it wouldnt be very appropriate for your child to run around saying words like that. ...If they ignore your request be more assertive. They probably dont even realize or consider the consequences of swearing infront of your child.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 8:06 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Obviously their parents haven't taught them morals or respet. Everyone knows not to curse around little ones... I think you should say something to the kids, and to their parents. Someone has to.
    twocutetwins09

Answer by twocutetwins09 at 7:57 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I tell any kids I hear swearing to watch their mouths and don't think twice of it. If it is a regular occurrence I think it is completely in your rights to say something about it!!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:03 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• defentialy say something and I guess however old your son is have a lil talk with him about the bad words. I dont like it either when people cuss around my kids and I do politely say something even to kids!
    jess1230

Answer by jess1230 at 8:17 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Okay please don't take this as rude, but we have to consider self accountability here. We choose who our children are around. Are these teens in your home? Or is it a common area or are you in their home. I tell my children that those words are not to be said by them, but yes sometimes other people say them. I tell them it doesn't make it okay, but to just worry about themselves not saying it. If I am in someone elses home or in a common outside area and people are swearing, it is not my place to tell them how to talk. If it's in my home that's different. But I don't have to bring my kids around them if it bothers me that much. Simply put, if you don't like the way they swear around your child, it's your responsibility to remove your child from the situation, not tell others how to speak unless they are on your turf.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:22 PM on Apr. 4, 2009