hormones after a hysterectomy

going for a hysterectomy and I am really scared about the whole hormone thing, I am 27 and this will only be a partial hysterectomy, anyone been there!

jess1230

Asked by jess1230 at 8:14 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Health

• It depends on the 'partial' part. If they are leaving at least one ovary no hormone replacement is needed. Otherwise you have some research and big decisions to make ahead. HRT is a serious issue. Some women can't imagine not doing it, esp at age 27. Others are appalled at the thought regardless of the age.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:52 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I am one of those who is against HRT. I am pro natural progesterone instead. There are a lot of dangers with HRT. I'm not a fan of hysterectomy either. I know if I were told I needed one I would be seeing 6 different doctors before following through with it. I have learned a lot of hysterectomies have been performed unnecessarily and other treatment could be used. At your age I would really do research before getting this procedure. www.purelybalanced.com is a good place to start for information.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 10:23 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• If they're leaving your ovaries you shouldn't need any hormone replacement therapy. If your ovaries aren't functioning you might. I found out I had polycystic ovaries and my estrogen was wayyyyy too low so I started taking prescription estrogen. Within a couple of months I was in the deepest depression I had ever experienced and the shrink told me that the risk of breast cancer triples when you take it. So, no more for me, LOL. Good luck!
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 11:30 AM on Apr. 6, 2009