Here we go again....my youngest DD had another seizure on the bus. This is getting more than old. I have 2 kids with epilepsy and both are being denied their right to accomidations for their special needs!

It was on the way back to school from a field trip. This is the 3rd time this school year this exact scenario has happened. She has epilepsy and I told the school they had to have a nurse on board when she goes away from the school. They refused saying I should "treat her as a normal kid". To some extent, I agree, but this is not something that can keep happening! When are they going to get this through their heads that my kids NEEDS a nurse with her?!

Babylove76

Asked by Babylove76 at 8:24 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Anon:
    No where does she say that her child ISN'T on medications for her condition. Not all medications work all the time. And as for homeschooling, not every parent can or wants to go that route. We are guaranteed, by federal law, a right to a full education, and schools must meet the needs of EVERY child, regardless of what those needs may be. While I don't have a child with special needs, two of my brothers were.

What you're saying, Anon., is that children with special needs should be ignored, or given the absolute minimum, or treated as they were 30 years ago - put in an institution and left to die alone. Well, welcome to the 21st century, where everyone is equal and has EQUAL rights to things like education, regardless of what they need to make that happen.

Babylove - You Go Girl! Take it to whatever level you have to! Teach your girls that when we have to we fight for what we need!
    BearsMommy

Answer by BearsMommy at 11:32 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Take it to the school board. Tell them that if they refuse to do right by the law and your child, then you will get a lawyer and see them, the school Principal in court. And that you will be making sure to have a Disability Rights Advocate with you.
    pr0udm0m_0f_3

Answer by pr0udm0m_0f_3 at 8:29 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• pr0udm0m_0f_3:

Actually, in the case of my oldest DD, we are suing the district and the director of special services. They have denied each and every right my oldest DD has and now she has missed almost the entire year of school because they would not allow her to attend! With my youngest, they have done many of the same things and refuse to pair her with a nurse for times they are away from the school where there is a nurse on duty at all times.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 8:40 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Why isn't she on meds for her epilepsy? You cannot expect a school to send a nurse on a trip with your daughter if you signed the consent to have her go on the field trip. There is NO WAY a school can send a nurse along for all the kids that may have health problems. Your child is not vaccinated which probably contributes to her missing school since they have to stay home when there's a problem. It sounds to me like you need to home school your child if you want her to be accommodated the way you feel. I hate how sue happy people are nowdays.
    Anonymous

• Anon-
    If only you actually knew what you are talking about, but of course, you don't. She is on meds, I CAN and DO expect them to send a nurse with her because they are supposed to by state law. My child has NEVER missed school because of her not being vaxxed. And I will sue the district for denying my children educational, ADA and Constitutional rights. You don't like my post, MOVE the HEck on!! You are a hateful brat that needs to take your Xanax and Prozac.
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 9:09 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• lol who's the one getting all bent out of shape here love bug? I am not being hateful. I am saying that you are being ridiculous. DOn't allow her to go on these field trips. You are the that agreed to the release. Every post of yours seems to be very unhappy and you get VERY defensive. You have even talked about giving up. It seems to me tha tyou are the one that needs some meds here my dear....not me.
    Anonymous

• Anon - STFU
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 9:21 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• at least the op is not a chicken sh!t, afraid to show her face, anonymous!
    Anonymous

• lol ooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhh good one...both of you. lol
    Anonymous

• Babylove76View Profile
    Add to Friends
    Send a Message
    View Answers pr0udm0m_0f_3:

Good for you, BABYLOVE... And they are also breaking the law by not providing a FREE, PUBLIC, ACCESSABLE eduacation. Have you tried to make them at least let her be in the Home School program where the teacher goes to YOUR home?
    pr0udm0m_0f_3

Answer by pr0udm0m_0f_3 at 9:41 PM on Apr. 4, 2009