How do I introduce a solid to which I am allergic?

My son started solids recently. He loves him some peas. He hates carrots. I was wondering how you introduce a food to which you are allergic. I'm allergic to peaches, but I don't know if he is and won't until he tries them. Do I wait until he's older or just add them in the normal try for 3 days rotation?

TIA

AlyKen

Asked by AlyKen at 8:26 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have many allergies myself. With my kids it depended on how allergic I was to something. If it is a matter of even a little getting on your skin causing a problem..then no I would not introduce that until they were much older. Allergies tend to run in families. It doesn't mean your child WILL have them..only that they are more likely than others w/o the history to have them. Unless you're allergic to everything under the sun I would just do the one thing at a time like you're doing.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:42 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I would hold off for now and ask the pediatrician to be sure. It's not something that has to be done as a baby, so holding off would be okay, I know that for sure. But when dealing with a family food allergy, I'm not sure so I would talk to the doctor.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• to be on the safe side I would wait till he was older
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 9:07 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I would just wait a bit, solids before 12 months are more for practice not really to provide a lot of nutrition and even so you get along just fine without peaches, stear clear for a while and jump to pears or something ;)
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 9:33 PM on Apr. 4, 2009