My month old was awake from eleven in the morning to almost six at night.

Is this normal? Is he ok? He has never done this before.

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 8:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Are you just letting him fall asleep on his own? It may be time to start a bedtime/naptime routine and soothe him to sleep to make sure he gets his naps. You should do this within 2 hours of when he wakes up each time. It could be time for him to sleep in his own space, too. Overtired babies can actually stay up for ridiculous amounts of time. He's probably becoming aware of his surroundings more and no longer able to just fall asleep wherever he is, whatever he's doing. So no, I'd say it's not "normal" -- do what it takes to get him his naps. Tiny babies can fall asleep on the go... but they grow out of this at different times.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:35 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• We are at my mother's house which he has never been to before. That may be why. He isn't fussy or upset. Just wide awake.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 8:41 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Probably overstimulated. Is there a dark room you can take him to and put him to sleep there? I'm sure he'll be fine, though, when you get back to normal life. Good luck.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:42 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Yeah, he fell asleep and hasn't woke yet but it has only been a couple of hours. How often should I try to get him to sleep?
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 8:45 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I think he sounds fine. When my son was in the hospital at a month old he was wide awake just staring around at everything...he is just taking in the new things to see. If he's not crying or upset he's probably fine. You would know if he was overstimulated because he would get cranky and upset.
    AidensMommy608

Answer by AidensMommy608 at 8:45 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My baby did this one day while he was still in the NICU. He was only about two weeks old. It really surprised the nurses. He was fine, but slept alot the next day.
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 9:27 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• When my son first came home he didnt sleep much at all but he had some pretty serious health issues going on. By the time we were able to get him in for one the surgeries he needed he literally was only sleeping a total of 3 hours a day. If it continues have her evaluated
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 9:30 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My little girl did that when she was less than a month old. She did it 2 days straight. She woke up at 6am both days and stayed up straight til midnight. It bout killed me because I wasn't getting any sleep, but I think it is because they are seeing better and want to see everything that's going on. When it was time to nap she would fight it and fight it until she was wide awake again. Sorry to say, it's hell, but it should pass after a couple of days.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2009