Homecooked meals?

So with lots of people getting layed off and prices still going up its obviously much more difficult to buy groceries and make home cooked meals every night that are still healthy. Its almost like its cheaper to get fastfood or a pizza than make your own food. Anyways my question is do you know any good home cooked meals that are still pretty cheap? Or any shortcuts to make recipies cheaper so its easier to make homecooked meals every night?

OliviasMommy614

Asked by OliviasMommy614 at 8:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Food & Drink

• We have started makeing easy meals some of the nights, like sub sandwiches. I made these the other day and they were a huge hit, everyone has been asking for more... lol
    onyourterms

Answer by onyourterms at 8:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• basalmic/mozarella chicken....marinade chic breast in basalmic vinagear for a few hours. sprinkle some basil on it, cook it and when fully cooked add mozarelle cheese to the top. works with just a salad or potatoes. it has a sweet tang to it. my daughter is 3 and this is one of the only forms of meat she will eat!
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 8:40 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Stick to the basics. Simple foods go a long way like rice and potatoes or casseroles composed of leftovers. For instance, buy a whole chicken instead of portions. Roast it, strip it of the white and dark meats, use the dark in soup, casseroles or gravies. Boil the leftovers bones and fat, use the broth for soup base and gravy. One chicken can make a few days worth of meals. Buy your fresh veggies on clearance and fruit too. Just use whatever is marked down instead of making a list ahead of time. Buy flour in bulk, make pancakes, bisquits and homemade pizza dough. There really are plenty of options if you think outside of the box. Homemade is far better nutitionally than that garbage they sell through windows. It just means more time and effort, but it is worth it!
    lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 8:42 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• spagetti seems to be pretty cheap to be just some noodles, hamburger, and sauce ( little onion cooked into the meat) its always good and pretty simple too!
    KimberlyAnn85

Answer by KimberlyAnn85 at 8:52 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Check out the recipe swap group. Lots of good recipes and ideas there!!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• when trying to get by on less casseroles and pasta dishes are your best friend. I pound of hamburger 1 pound of pasta and 2 jars pasta sauce is enough to feed at least 6 people and costs $6. $1 a person is a pretty good meal. Sheperds pie (you can use real or instant mashed potatoes) fill the bottom of a glas baking dish with mashed potatoes then a layer of brown ground beef or ground turkey then a layer of peas carrots and corn and sprinkle with cheddar cheese and bake in teh over till heated through again will feed several people for only a little money. Soups are also very cheap and easy to make. My favorite is minestrone its loaded up with beans (kidney black etc) so it is full of protein and you dont need meat tastes fabulous and feeds TONS of people. I make it in an 8 quart pot and then freeze portions for an easy meal later. One last tip is go to the grocery store early in teh morning and cruise the meat section cont
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:30 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Meats that need to be sold that day are clearanced out on the night shift or very early in the morning. Buying clearanced meat is a great way to get more for your money. If you cant use them right away just freeze them. If something gets freezer burnt just use it in a soup. Freezer burn doesnt hurt the meat it just makes it kind of dry so when you use it in a soup or soupy type casserole you dont even notice
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I make one big dinner with a chuck roast, chicken (whole) turkey, all bought on sale. Then I can get several more meals out of that one. With the leftovers from the chuck roast I can make a soup to eat and/or freeze, add a few more veggies and a crust and we have a pot pie. The possibilities are endless if a chicken or turkey is roasted, from soups to salads and pot pies, and sheppards pies, alfredo dinner's..
    Also if you make a large pot of spaghetti sauce (which sounds pretty good today!) you can freeze containers with just the right amount you'll need for a quick pasta meal anytime with or without meat. Or you can use that sauce for sausage or meatball sandwiches.
    I've never cooked any way other than from scratch, I learned to cook from my Mom and grandmother. Those women knew how to stretch a dollar til George cried!
    dutchiss

Answer by dutchiss at 8:25 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• To the OP, fast food is NOT cheaper than homemade. My husband picked up Burger King one night, it cost $27 to feed 5 of us. The average homecooked dinner cost at our house ranges from $5 to $10. With the $10 being rare.

Homecooking is much less expensive and far healthier for your family. I'm wondering if maybe you just aren't a very smart shopper.

I purchase ground round on sale for $1.99 lb, I usually buy a large quantity and freeze it, to hold us over to the next sale. The same goes for boneless center cut pork loins. The grocer even cuts it into chops of my desired thickness, free of charge. I can usually get Italian sausage for that same price, or just a few cents more. I get boneless, skinless chicken breasts (individually frozen) for about $2.50 lb.

I make my own salad dressings, taco seasoning, enchilada sauce because it's cheaper and healthier. I bake my own bread, again, cheaper and better for you.
    Anonymous

• It's EASIER to get a fast food pizza or burgers, but definitely NOT cheaper. I feed a family of 7 with 3 dogs and 3 cats, including personal care items and paper products, for $250 a month or less. I make my own salad dressings, taco seasoning, spaghetti sauce (dry) mix, "Manwich" sauce, etc and it really doesn't take THAT much extra time, less than 5 minutes. Here are some of the meal ideas that I keep handy: chicken & rice casserole; split pea or bean soup; scalloped potatoes & ham; meatloaf (uses 1 lb. ground beef and 1 lb. pork sausage); homemade pizza with homemade "Pizza Hut" crust and homemade pizza sauce; chicken pot pie; spicy roasted chicken; taco soup; spaghetti; chili; cheesy broccoli soup; chicken or beef in gravy over biscuits; sausage gravy over biscuits; wet burritos; potato & ham soup; chicken alfredo (homemade sauce); "Manwich" sloppy joes; chicken or beef stew & dumplings....I'm happy to share recipes!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:46 PM on Apr. 5, 2009