how do you know if your baby is teething? what are some signs other than cranky-ness?

kiliki_malie

Asked by kiliki_malie at 8:56 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son started the teething process at 3 months old. He is 4 months old and hasn't cut any teeth, but the bumps are begining to appear. He may not cut any teeth for several months.

Drooling, red gums, trying to stuff hands or objects in their mouths, chomping down on your fingers, discomfort with nursing (the sucking motion can be painful).

I read that "fever and congestion" are not normal symptoms of teething.

Unless your gel indicates otherwise, you can't use it until he's 4 months old.

Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My baby slept allot, he chewed everything and his gums we a little red. He cut his 1st tooth the weeks before 6 months and the 2nd one he cut the day after the 1st. Good luck!
    masonsmommy921

Answer by masonsmommy921 at 9:00 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• a lot of chewing, low grade fever, lumps on the gums and lots of drooling
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:01 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• With mine we didn't know until they were in. Freaky kids. LOL

Wash your hands and put your finger on the gums. If they start gnawing on you, it's a pretty safe bet they're teething.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:04 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• the thing is, hes only 3 months old...but lately ive noticed he tries to suck on his hand. he wont take a paci, but he will suck on his hand ALOT lately, and he hasnt done that before...a little drooling, and there is little bumps on the top of his mouth. does that mean his teeth are coming in? hes not THAT crabby, nothing noticable with that... i would give him some orajel, but i dont want to unless hes actually teething, ya know? lol
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 9:09 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I wouldn't give orajel. Maybe try a little Tylenol and see if his mood improves.

Sucking on his hands and not taking a pacifier (to me) means he's discovered his hands, but hasn't found his thumb yet.

But if he starts gnawing on your finger when you check that's a very good indication.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2009