Why is she staring at me?

Today I was cooking and my 3yo stepdaughter kept trying to get me to play with her so I asked her to go play in her room till I was done cooking. At this point she just stops and stares at me from the doorway to her room. I asked her what was wrong. She wouldn't answer. I asked her if she needed something. She wouldn't answer. She stood there and stared at me till I was done cooking. Not in a mean way. Not with any particular expression.

Now the not answering part is pretty normal. She does this pretty often and it drives me crazy but the staring thing is beginning to worry me. She's done this a few other times and I have no idea what she is doing.

She is a really talkative and outgoing child most of the time and a bit of an attention demander. If she was shy I might understand a bit more but she isn't. What on earth is going on with her.

NotVeryClever

Asked by NotVeryClever at 8:56 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Could be be having petit mal seizures. I would take her to the Dr and let them run some tests on her.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:09 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Was she looking AT you or THROUGH you? There's a difference. If she was looking AT you she was probably just waiting for you to be done. When you finished, did she reanimate?

Maybe she just didn't really want to go to her room, but she was leaving you alone to cook as you told her? Her way of getting what she wants (not going to her room) but doing what you want (leaving you alone to cook)?

If she's having "staring spells" where she kind of looks through things or just into space...it should be brought up to her doctor. My second son does that and we ended up running an EEG on him to rule out seizures. It was normal, but they're still keeping an eye on it now.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:14 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I agree that it could be petit mal seizures, not to freak you out and we could all be wrong. My neice has these A LOT! With her, she wouldn't answer us and she would just kind of be looking at someone and her eyelids would flutter in this cute little way. We just thought she was being prissy, then her doctor saw it and ordered tests and it is seizures.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:56 PM on Apr. 4, 2009