• In the Spotlight:

Doggy Dementia?

Can dogs develop dementia? I have a 12 year old Pek/Shi Tzu mix, that is acting really weird. She gets up two or three times a night. I get up to let her out and then she sits at the edge of the kitchen and whines for at least another hour. It is like she is a puppy again and she is crying for me. I have had her longer than my husband and kids. It seems like she keeps getting a little more mental every day. I hate to see it happen. She is like an appendage to me. We have been together so long.

BrandonsMom1000

Asked by BrandonsMom1000 at 9:01 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Pets

• Yes, dogs can get dementia. I work at a boarding facility and I have met many older dogs with dementia and also nuerological problems. Some diseases have meds that can help regulate it, but there needs to come a point when you have to decide if your dog's quality of life is good enough or if it would better of putting the dog down. I have seen so many owners that cant bare the thought of losing their pet that they let their poor dogs suffer through agony of extreme old age until they finally die on their own, very slowly. I know its very hard to lose a pet, believe me, I have to greive everytime I learn of one of our regular boarding dogs passing. But its quality of life that really matters, not quantity. Good luck!
    Elijahsmommy9

Answer by Elijahsmommy9 at 8:27 AM on Apr. 9, 2009

• I had a dog once that started running into furniture and would get lost in the yard. I paid for an xray of her head to see if she had a tumor and the vet said it looked more like she had a stroke and was bleeding in the brain. So, I guess, yes, it's possible your dog has dementia but it may be caused due to a tumor or a stroke. We had to put her down that day, very sad.
    Anonymous

• get it checked right away or just put it down.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 11:01 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• She does not get lost or run into things. She just acts a little loopy in the house. She will stare at you for at least 30 minutes at a time. It is a little unnerving. I just hope that she does not have a tumor or symptoms of a stroke.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 10:16 AM on Apr. 6, 2009