how hard is it goin to be to raise a kid at 17?

maryh17

Asked by maryh17 at 9:11 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in General Parenting

• honey, its hard to raise a kid at any age. have you already graduated from high school? if not i'd say you are pretty close and finish! this way you can actually get a job where you make the money you need to make to take care of your child. but really, its hard no matter how old you are or how ready you thought you were. my husband and i waited 3 years after being married to have our first and thought ok here we go we're ready. now, i don't think anyone is ever really "ready"
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 9:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Um...really effing hard. I'm 23 and I don't even feel like I'm ready to raise a kid. My birth mother was 17 when she had me; luckily she had the common sense to realize that I'd have a better life if I was raised by a mother and a father who were ready to have a child. You can't breastfeed in homeroom or at the prom.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 9:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Do you have parental support emotionally and financially? If no then crazy hard if yes then you will just have some issues with learning how to grow up into a mature women and raise a baby. You will make it though :) just think great thoughts hun and have a lot of good mommies on here give you advice!
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 9:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Its hard for anyone. You just have to do one main thing and everything else will fall into place.

1. Put your childs needs ahead of your own, you no longer get to do everything you want to. And that about covers it.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:14 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• It will be hard but you can do it trust me if you have babysat a child you can have a baby it isn't much harder than babysitting only you have to be mean and disipline at times lol and the child is with you forever. But trust me you will be able to do it
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 9:14 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I don't think its hard at all. But it all depends on how mature you are. I had my son when I was seventeen, and I was more than ready to have a baby. My fiance and I decided to have a baby. He was no accident or surprise. I have had more complimants than I can count on what a great mother I am. Of course some people feel the need to add, "Especially for being so young." I was blessed with an extremly happy. I don't think it has to do so much with age but how you love your child. My son is my entire word. I will always provide, protect, care for him, and love him. And I disagree with the person who said its like babysitting. Its not at all. When you babysit you go by other peoples rules. When its your child its totally different rules. My son is 100% breastfed, never had a bottle. Hes never been babysat. Hes never had sugar. He loves fruits and veggies. I make sure hes happy healthy and safe. Give it your all, and it will show.
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 9:30 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I was 17 when i found out i was pregnant. Well i turned 18 before i had my son. I graduated school when i was 5 months pregnant. High school was hard an i lost most of my friends. I live with the father, he has a great job and were finacially stable. I LOVE being a mother, i LOVE my son more then the world buttt sometimes its hard thinking how my life could have been... going to college and living in a dorm and all the fun things young people do including dating. I feel depressed alot. I sometimes wish things could be different.

The hardest thing for me was just the fact of not being able to be young. If you are not yet pregnant i say wait. If you are pregnant i wish you luck. Feel free to message me!

Being a mom though came so easy for me. The "mom" part of it isnt hard
    masonsmommy921

Answer by masonsmommy921 at 9:30 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Are you still in high school? If you are are you graduating before baby gets here? I graduated before I got pregnant. lol I graduated on june 14th and my ovulation was june 19th. So not long after.. But after. =)
    LucasMama08

Answer by LucasMama08 at 9:35 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

wow. that kinda disgusted me. i had my kid in my junior year, and i did just fine. i made it through high school and i pumped. oh yea and i went to prom. and i graduated.
    its hard at times, and you will hear a lot of "but you aresooo young" but honestly, if you raise them right, and love them no matter what, you will find that the best gift that you have ever been given from god is the ability to be a mommy.
    Anonymous

• i was 17 when i had my son. As long as u do your best and love your little bundle with all your heart thats what matters! plenty of children have 2 married parents with loads of money and everything they want, but the love of a parent. No rule book that tells u what to do...u just kinda learn as u go. Call moms aunts and grandma freakin out with questions like all other first time mommy's. U will be fine hun. Its one of the hardest but most rewarding jobs women get...you are blessed

Criddles

Answer by Criddles at 10:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2009