Newborn Gas Pain

My 3 week old has really bad gas. Everytime she eats I have to give her Mylicon which doesn't take away her pain. She cries and whines all night! For those of you that have dealt with this, what worked for you? Of course I burp her and i've tried to rub her belly but doesn't seem to work.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my baby did the same thing- cry and draw her legs up to her chest until she farted or pooped. the dr. said she has cholic and put her on rhinadine ie zantac we also alternate between gas drops and gripe water at each feeding. gripe water is for cholicy babies and can be found at your local health food store. she is now 14 weeks old and still has problems. i think they just have to grow out of it.
    adysmom1

Answer by adysmom1 at 1:47 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• What formula are you using?

We have and still are working on this with our 5 week old. We use Mylicon with every feeding (seems to help with pain but she still has tons of gas). We switched formula and that helped out it seems with the discomfort. We also switched bottles to Dr. Browns which really seemed to help. We think she may have milk allergies and are going to try soy. I have really bad milk allergies and my mom said that she was just like me as a newborn. Good Luck and I hope you find something that helps. Its so sad seeing them in so much pain. Congrats on the newborn!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:24 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Oh I forgot. My mother-in-law got her this Colic Pillow from Babies-r-Us and we call it the "Magic Poop Pillow". It massages her belly and if we put her on it for about 10 mins, about 5 mins later she poops. When she seemed to be constipated, we used it and every single time it worked it out for her. My MIL is a massage therapist and she said when she does massages for clients for that reason she does it similar to what the pillow does. She always tell them not to venture to far from the bathroom.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:29 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• my twin boys have the same thing going on. and there 4 weeks and we tried everything. the pillow works but there dr said NO to the pillow. >.< but it takes his pain away and me and the twins' dad get little more sleep at night
    angeltwinpain

Answer by angeltwinpain at 9:55 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Have you tried moving babies legs in pedaling motion and then lift both legs up towards belly. I used to count to eight while pedaling and then push both legs up towards belly. I would do this a few times and it seemed to relieve the gas pressure. It is awfully to see your baby in pain. Hope this helps.
    Jaimekat13

Answer by Jaimekat13 at 10:20 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• try little tummy's gas relief drops
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:00 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• try a different bottle. platex makes a bottle that uses drop in bags which reduce air intake because you push all the air out of the bag before giving it to the infant
    taleasoldastime

Answer by taleasoldastime at 1:36 AM on Apr. 5, 2009