Point blank, you have two options, because this is reality

Your mother, sister or daughter is leaving the mall at 2pm. The parking lot is deserted, there's nobody around, and this isn't the kind of mall with rent a cops at every door. As your LO gets half way between the building and her car, a 250 lb man approaches her. Which would you prefer:
She pulls back her coat, reveals a weapon, and he keeps walking
He knocks the cell phone from her hand before she can unlock it, abducts her, rapes her, and leaves her for dead in the woods.

Why do your loved ones not deserve the right to defend themselves? Is your mother to stupid to handle a gun? Is your sister not worth having a chance? Would you rather your daughter die than risk her going crazy and shooting up 13 people, because that's what happens if you own a gun?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 9:20 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• To the poster that said "find herself in this situation". Um it is the mall parking lot at 2 in the afternoon????? That could happen to ANYBODY!

I was accosted last winter in the grocery store parking lot. He had me trapped between my trunk and the cart. He came from behind, grabbed my arm and was pulling me. I coudn't get to my pepper spray on my key chain. I could get to a 5 lb bag of potatoes. I beat the snot out of him with it. Another guy actually had to pull me off of him.

I don't know what this guy had in mind. I didn't see a weapon and he didn't say anything to me except "Christ lady stop, please stop" while I was beating the snot out of him. The Christ thing just made me madder. I don't really care. If I would have had a gun on me I would have shot him and never thought twice about it.

We own several guns. In due time my boys will be taught the responsibility of gun ownership,
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:44 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Well, first off you have to be stupid to put yourself in that kind of situation. I mean us women have brains, use them!!!

Whats to say that the 250 lb man knocks your 130 lb sister to the ground before she can pull the gun out, cock it and aim? Then he has your sis gun too......hmmmm

I am FOR the right to bear arms, but this was just dumb.
    Anonymous

• i prefer my dd to have a gun. i think everyone has the right to carry a gun, and protect themselves, if its not a gun its going to be something else. but i also dont think people should be going around shooting others just to do it, or to be in a gang, or over drugs or anything stupid like that, but self defense is a different story, and defending your family, if someone walks into my house or up to my daughter in public id do whatever i had to do to protect her. thats how it goes. if they take away the right to own a gun, its not going to stop people from having them and killing others. . . so really whats the sense in doing it?
    Anonymous

• I see your point, and agree, but the fantasy idea many people have about gun ownership is that one day they will defend themselves with it from a horrible monster of a person. That very rarely happens, usually the gun sits alone on a shelf in the master bedroom closet until someone's child finds it or the owner decides to commit suicide.
    I am all for gun ownership, but self defense classes would probably serve a woman better in this situation. Simply throwing up on herself would deter a would be rapist or yelling Fire Fire would be just as effective.
    Anonymous

• Guns arent always the answer and its sad that YOU THINK they are, small minded people... What about natural self defense? Alot of people on here pay to the gods from above and say how he perfectly created a womens body with child bearing in mind, but let me guess, he skipped out on self defense didnt he? yeah okay. What did people do before guns?
    Anonymous

• *pray
    Anonymous

• first off you have to be stupid to put yourself in that kind of situation

Women shouldn't go to the mall in broad daylight anymore?

As for it being "stupid" it happened here a month or so ago. The guy was a recently released rapist/pedophile who tried going after others before he finally found a girl in her car. She turned up miles away where he dumped her and kept her car. But we know, you're superwoman, you can just bend their pinky back and he won't get you, huh?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:27 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• more than likely the gun will be taken from her and used on her.someone that would attack you like that won't think twice about shooting you.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 9:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• It's a valid question and a likely scenario, you should have not been bashed because of your choice of question. If a woman is capable of carrying a weapon she must realize it can be used against her, and self defense classes have been shown to be quite effective in deterence. I would recommend self defense classes first, and owning a gun only after she has made the decision it was not enough, and needs more protection. Then continual follow up with care and practice with her weapon on a routine basis and keeping her licensure up to date.
    Anonymous

Proof please. Feel free to google some stats on how many people have their own weapon taken and used against them during a crime and link them. I'd LOVE to see them. Someone who would attack you will only do so if he thinks you won't put up a fight. If he sees you are armed, he's moving on to a target who's less likely to get him caught.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2009