Is anyone else here a fan of self accountability?

Okay it's just something I'm really into. I can't say I am all the time, but I really do believe in it. I mean instead of focusing constantly on what the other person did, focus on what my part was kind of thing. Kind of like taking up my part in the situation, what ever it may be. I really want to instill this in my children, you know, choices, free will, and that there are consequences for our actions whether they be good or bad. Anyone else? Share your thoughts..

Steff107

Asked by Steff107 at 9:26 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• definitely
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 9:30 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Thank god I'm not alone. I was raised to be behave responsibly and to be accountable for my actions, and I am raising my kids to be as well.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:33 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I think Self Accountability is extremely important for all of us. I think we should all teach our children to be self accountable. I think our society for way too long has been good at laying serious blame on someone else. All of our 'ills' are not someone else's fault. If I have done something wrong, said something wrong, acted in a wrong way I want to be the first to clarify it and if need be say I'm Sorry.
    Tx2Step

Answer by Tx2Step at 9:35 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I mean it bothers me when someone says to me, I wouldn't have acted this way if hadn't have done this that or the other. Don't you choose to do what you do?
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 9:40 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Yes. We all make our own choices. Nobody twists our arms.
    Tx2Step

Answer by Tx2Step at 9:50 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• People are definitely quick to pass the buck. "She made me snap on her..." At least when I do something I probably shouldn't have I can say "My anger got the best of me" or something where I am accountable rather than blaming someone else.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:58 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• group hugGuilty! I've realized that I can't control others, only my reaction to them/their actions. And, if I'm wrong; I'll be the first (or second) to let you know and then I need to get "it" straight. We, members of this "club," are very self-reflective and it's usually because we're highly sensitive/emotional/reactive beings. It's helpful because it helps us to understand ourselves and navigate the world a little bit better. It also puts others on notice that we are not falling for the okey-doke... But, they're assured of not getting the run-around from us...

jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 9:59 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• That is an awesome way to raise kids. Give yourself a pat on back for that. The world would be a better place if more mom/dads did that.
    bristle3kids

Answer by bristle3kids at 10:25 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Yes, we have become a society that wants to blame others for our actions. It's just the easier thing to do. We can't control what others do or say, but we CAN control what our reactions are. It may be tough to turn the other cheek and do what's right, but it's what's best in the long run.

Great post, btw and "thanks" for being an awesome mom!
    etexmom

Answer by etexmom at 11:37 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Absolutely!
    This is what I try to teach my children, especially my youngest with ADHD & ODD who blames everything wrong in her life on everyone else.
    If you do not take self-accountability then you are set up for failure and disappointments for the rest of your life. You have to improve from within to overcome what is occurring outside.
    This is a really nice post to see!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 10:23 AM on Apr. 5, 2009