6 1/2 month old tempertantrums

My 6 month old has a hissy fit about EVERYTHING! The slightest little thing will set him off. It's like caring for Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde except Mr Hyde is driving me CRAZY! If I don't make his bottle fast enough he screams, if his toys dont do what he wants them to do when he is playing and screams (and gets frustrated after only a minute or two of play) Bedtime and naptime are miserable as the only way to get him to go to sleep is to cry it out. Seriously this kid cries so much that when I lay in bed at night and everyone else is asleep I hear it. I dream about it. I cant escape it and I never have a moment to myself since I am a stay at home mom. I know he is teething but NOTHING helps I have tried everything tylenol motrin teething tablets teething drops cold wash cloth oragel water teethers vibrating teethers. I just cant stand it anymore! ANY ADVICE PLEASE!

humaniterian87

Asked by humaniterian87 at 9:27 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have none. My 4 month old is doing the same thing (also teething). He gets pissed at his toys, screams all day and beats on his mommy. He pulls my hair and grabs my skin and gives me little bruises when I hold him when he's FREAKING out. I don't let him CIO though. I put him in the bed with me which I'm sure is a bad idea lol :-(

Good luck!
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 9:42 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Try giving him warm bath with lavender then follow-up with the lavender lotion right before his nap or bedtime and your little guy will be yawning as you are gettig him dressed. I still do same to my son when I can tell he is tired and he is going to be 5. My husband tries to tire out my daughter by playing with her on the floor. Tickling her, etc. Now she is trying to take steps so we hold her hands and do laps around living room & dining room to tire her out. Good luck : )
    Jaimekat13

Answer by Jaimekat13 at 10:06 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Emi does that. She stopped when I started taking zyrtec and drinking loads of chamomile tea. She's pretty chill now. lol MAybe you could give him an oz or two of 100% chamomile tea? Might help calm him down. Just cuddle him as much as you can and remember that this too shall pass.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 10:14 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• That sounds difficult, so first of all, my sympathy. Second thing, 6 1/2 month-olds aren't throwing temper tantrums. Temper tantrums are a developmental stage that comes from asserting their independence. Your 6 1/2 month old is developing his will, but very much knows that he needs you to meet his needs. Make sure he knows that you are there for him. I'd put everything aside for a few days and just be there with him... I know it's not possible to do this all the time, but take a little time where you just focus on him exclusively.. it will make you both feel better. If he knows that you're there for him, he'll be less likely to freak if you put him down for a minute. Try wearing him in a carrier when you walk around the house, talk to him about the things you're doing, etc. If he's still screaming through that, then you should have him checked out for a medical problem. (to be cont'd)
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:35 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• cont'd ...
    For bedtime and naptimes, establish a little ritual that you do every time that includes things that you know relaxes/soothes him. Nurse or feed him, then read him a book, sing a song, or just sit quietly cuddling him for awhile in the dark. As he gets used to this routine, he will know it's bedtime and will expect it. Routine really helps the little ones... Finally, take breaks. Let someone help you out with him for awhile. Do you have someone? I really wish you the best. And remember, he's too young to be a bad kid.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 10:39 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I dont think he is bad just driving me crazy. He had some issues at first and cried, seriously for 5 montsh straight, he has finally been given a clean bill of a health and JUST had a check up. He was doing really well for awhile but I dont know what happened. As far as focusing on him for a few days, this has literally been my life for the past 6 1/2 months. I always feel liek garbage because I am a homemaker but y son is so demanding I cant cook or clean or anything. Blugh
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:05 PM on Apr. 4, 2009