I wonder

Do you truly feel you could kill an intruder if one were to enter your house?Could you kill someone for stealing your tv? I understand in cases of its him or you,but could you do it if you were not directly threatened?

TMJ121099

Asked by TMJ121099 at 9:37 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• No,I couldn't. I would say "Here,take the TV and the silverware and the rest", because material possessions aren't worth bloodshed. A neighbor of ours who was with the FBI said to leave the house and tell them they could take whatever and that you wouldn't call the police----leave through an exit far awy from the break-in. Don't just stand in front of the guy and say "Excuse me while I unlock my gun and load it...OK?" See, if you own weapons you 're supposed to keep them locked and the ammo in a different place so your kids can't get your weapons and shoot their little brother. A lot of good a locked up gun will do for you. @@ SO why buy it? I couldn't kill.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I dont think so, but if I felt they were about to harm me or my children I could.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I wouldn't shoot anyone over material things that can be replaced or covered by my insurance.
    I'd beat the hell out of them with a bat though if they came in my house trying to rip me off.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 9:41 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Fortunately, 75% of people who use them for self defense don't have to - it's over before it comes to that. For the others, that what classes are for.

THE NATURE OF DEFENSIVE GUN USE INCIDENTS[a]

%
    A. What the Defender Did with the Gun [b]
    Brandished or showed gun

75.7
    Verbally referred to gun

57.6
    Pointed gun at offender

49.8
    Fired gun (including warning shots)

23.9
    Fired gun at offender, trying to shoot him/her

15.6
    Wounded or killed offender

8.3
    http://www.saf.org/LawReviews/KleckAndGertz1.htm
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:42 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• If they were to show physical harm to me or a family member, you better believe I'd shoot them. Maybe not to kill, but to maim and then call 911. If you dare enter my home uninvited, invade my space and steal things for which I worked hard, then you're in for a big fight, though!
    TeensMom07

Answer by TeensMom07 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• In the manner of self defense, I believe I could kill a person. I would not shoot to stop as once instructed, I would shoot to kill. And hopefully, the body would fall inside the house and not outside the doorway.
    Anonymous

• if they were out to hurt me or my family i would do anything to keep them safe..
    mrssundin

Answer by mrssundin at 9:57 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• You bet your butt I could. There is a reason I own a gun. I would feel very sorry for someone that broke into my home.

People (criminals) shouldn't do something unless they are prepared to deal with the consequences of their actions. Lesson here: Don't break into people's houses.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:18 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• only if he had a weapon... not all intruders have one. My son was smart he hid in his room, in his closet and stayed there and called 911 on the phone when there was one in our house! My younger son slept through it. It was around 10 am and I was at the gym and hubby was at work!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:41 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• If the intruder was there to hurt my family I would shoot him in the leg and call 911, not over material things.
    Ilovemy5joys

Answer by Ilovemy5joys at 10:45 PM on Apr. 4, 2009