I think my co worker is making my boss nervous and I don't know how to address it!

I work in a salon. For some stupid reason I get the heavy drift that this girl is very insecure and jealous. My boss was very happy with my work until I caught her talking sh$% about it to him in the back room. The stuff she's saying isn't true. She's always complaining about me and tells other people negative things about me behind my back and it get's back to me. She doesn't know I know all this. But here's the thing. She has a close relationship with the owner, she can be manipulative. Her mouth is costing me money. See we are paid by the client. When ever someone calls about a service I offer she deters them from me. Or she says stuff about me to the boss. How can I tactfully address this without looking like the bad guy? I can't go anywhere else right now! I don't want to get all crazy on her, I just want it to stop.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Ask your boss for a 'sit down'. Don't say anything about your co-worker. Just tell him you've notice your clientel has been dropping and you were wondering if he knows why that is. If there's something you've done, or should be doing. Don't make it about her, make it about you, your job and how much you enjoy working there. Express your concerns about your job, and the loss of income you've been suffering. Any and everything except her. Don't think your boss doesn't see what she's up to. Show that you are above that kind of behavior. He'll know the reason why, and know that you know. If he's a good boss he will respect that you won't stoop to that level.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 10:05 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Sit down with the coworker and boss, talk like adults. Discuss the problems and work out a solution.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:03 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• i agree w pp
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 10:08 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• desert diva has a fantastic idea. Once you have spoken with your boss I would talk to this person. Maybe grab a pizza for lunch and offer her a slice in a very non-confrontation way just ask her, "Hey is there anything I have done to offend you? I just noticed it seems like perhaps you arent very comfortable around me and I just wanted to make sure I hadnt done or said something that may have upset you. I feel it's very important for us as coworkers to get along so we can give our employer 100%" And if she says something apologize for it (even if your not sorry) some people are very difficult to deal with but she maybe very impressed by your bold display of maturity and may chose to model herself in a similair manner. When it comes to work place relationships ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS take the high road. Especially at a time when the unemployment rate is at 10% now
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:16 PM on Apr. 4, 2009