Penile Adhesion

My son was circumcised at birth by 1 pediatrician. I decided that I didn't like him so I switched to a new one. At 4mos. I asked her a question about my son's penis, which led to her telling me that she assumed that he had not been circd. His penis head was still covered by skin & an adhesion had formed. So she pushed it back & gave me an Rx for an oinment to put on the adhesion. I also push the skin back during bathtime. There is a still a small part of the skin connected to his head. I read online that adhesions work themselves out by the time the child reaches 2. She told me that it's typical & my son will be okay.

The nurses never gave me instructions on how to care for a circd penis...just about the vaseline gauze....and not about having to push it back.

If you have a male son, have you experienced this? Did his adhesion "fix itself"?

Please don't start a debate on cir/non cir. Just wanting some info. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• For a circ. Penis, you should not have to push skin back. Pushing skin back is proper for cleaning. (since your son still does have soem skin that has to be pushed back) Sounds like you are doing things right. I have not had anything like this happen, so I am not sure I can give you further advice. If you are worried about the problem fixing itself, all I can say is get a second opinion. Good Luck, I wish I could be of more help.
    onyourterms

Answer by onyourterms at 9:48 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My son 's did the same thing. the nurses never told me to pull the skin back so I didn't know too. Anyways...at his 2 month check up his pedi had to pull the skin back due to an adhesion and told me put A&D ointmint on it every diaper change. Although I pulled it back during bathtime, it became stuck AGAIN! So this time I pulled back the skin myself. I personally wouldn't let it fix itself. Good luck :]
    dze527

Answer by dze527 at 9:50 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• It is my understanding that guaze and vaseline is all the care necessary. For awhile my sons looked like it had "grown back" so to speak but it straightened itself out, he is 6 months. I wouldnt worry about it, but I can identify with the fear of having to go through the circumcision again. Our son couldnt have his done until we was 2 weeks old because he was born preemie and they wanted good feeding patterns established. Recovery was rough on all of us
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 10:26 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My DH is 37 and still has his "adhesion." They are called skin bridges and are a VERY common complication caused by circumcision. His becomes very sore after sex from the skin being pulled on.
    Lilbeamercomin

Answer by Lilbeamercomin at 12:10 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I don't have any personal experience with this since my son is intact, but I have read a bit about adhesion from circumcision. It is very common, and what I read agrees with what you stated - the adhesion usually works itself out.  It also seems very common for doctors to not mention how to prevent adhesion, yet jump to recommend more surgery to fix it.  I know they mention adhesion from circumcision in the book What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Circumcision but Dr Paul Fleiss.  I think it's out of print, but your local library may have a copy.

sallymoon

Answer by sallymoon at 4:55 AM on Apr. 16, 2009