Moms of autistic children: Did you notice the change in your child soon after an immunization?

I have baby sat my cousin's son for almost 3 years now. He turned 3 recently and was given some immunizations at his well-check Dr visit. He got sick from it and stayed sick for about a week. Ever since then he has completely changed. He doesn't even seem like the same boy anymore. I feel horrible for his parents. He has gotten much harder to care for. He was diagnosed with Autism yesterday. I know that Drs say shots don't cause autism, but it seems like the proof is right in front of me! He almost immediately changed after getting these shots. I cannot imagine that it wasn't caused by the shots.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• What shots did he get at 3? It seemed like he got his diagnosis quickly.

Anonymous

• I don't know what the shots were. My cousin isn't really talking about it much. She is taking it hard, like she should have prevented it. This has been going on for almost 2 months now. They have gone to two different Developmental Specialists and they have both said it is Autism.
    Anonymous

• I didn't notice any changes, and vaccinations do not cause autism. If they did, there would have been changes in my sons after their vaccinations at 18 months and there were none.

If vaccinations caused autism, then non-vaccinated kids would not have autism.

His diagnosis was terribly quick. We've been working on diagnoses for over a year now for both of my sons. There is nothing she could have done, but to have a diagnosis this fast, there have to have been signs before.
    Anonymous

• re-anon

I will have to say that all of your points are quite badly thought out, to start, because YOUR son didn't show any changes does NOT rule out the fact that others kids DO, (there is a reason that clinical trials include more than ONE individual, we are all chemically distinct).

And just because one alleges that vaccinations DO cause autism, would not lend the idea that they where the SOLE cause of the condition.

You have every right to disagree with the idea, but you might want to pre-think your rebuttals just a wee bit.
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 12:15 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Wow anon :47. That was pretty rude. I guess that is why you felt the need to be anon. Panditacjp is dead on just because your two children didn't show any signs of autism after they were vaccinated doesn't mean that other children don't. This question was asking mothers of autistic children directly. Also OP did state she has been baby sitting this child for 3 years now. I that would have been enough time for her to notice any signs of autism previously. By the age of three it is easy to tell the difference between a child developing "normally" and one who has autism. There are severe cases of autism where a developmental specialist can diagnose right away. Other less severe cases may need more time to be sure it is autism.
    Actually you are right. In countries where vaccinations are not routinely given to young children, the percentage of children who have autism is way lower than here in the US.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 12:54 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I find it a bit telling that 70% of parents notice a difference in their child soon after they have received immunizations. Also Drs make money off of the drugs companies who provide the immunizations. This is the same reason why your GYN is more likely to prescribe a particular birth control pill, because they get money from that company for prescribing that pill. I know it sounds like a crazy conspiracytheory, but it is a fact. So if Drs were to come out and say, "Yes, shots are risky and can cause autism in certain children." Guess what, there goes the money!

AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 1:05 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Doctors and Scientists do notknow everything. Just 30 years ago they believed that water during a work out was bad. They told people to take salt pills to keep themselves from sweating!! We now know this is very dangerous and potentially deadly. Just watch in 30 years some of the things that we do now will be looked at as ridiculous. We learn as we go. Don't take todays believes as the gospel truth.
    AnnaMac

• The immunizations that are in question have been given to children for many years. It may be the shots or some other environmental contamination that causes Autism and it may be just coencidental(sp?) that the age of onset for Autism and the age the shots are given , are the same. The reason so many more children are diagnosed in the US is because the doctor's are sometimes pushed by parents to come up with a diagnosis quickly. They want an answer. Autism is a spectrum disorder. No longer are children diagnosed as Autistic only when they are severely involved or have many characteristics. Now they can be anywhere from very involved-----to moderately involved----to only slightly involved(maybe only social delays) Classic Autism------to------------Asbergers. So, now we diagnose kids differently. Thus it appears that there are more. Other countries do not jump so quickly to diagnose. I think we miss diagnose alot!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 9:15 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I read somewhere about an article on immunizations causing autism....it said something along the lines of doctors are trying to make different combination of shots so kids can get vaccinated faster. Doing this they didn't think of all the mercury that was in all those shots combined. Too much of it can mess up your brain especially in a baby or little kid. All the doctors were supposed to get rid of the old stuff and get the new stuff they develop with less mercury. The mercury is basically only there to preserve the shots. So I would ask your doctor if the shots are up to date. I also read that in some kids the autism string i guess you can say is already there and the shots could bring it out. I didn't save the websites sorry i couldn't post them. I could be wrong but that's just what I read so far.
    oxojen178oxo

Answer by oxojen178oxo at 10:22 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• So just because the DTaP shot didn't affect your children means that my son collapsing and having a febrile seizure just 7 hours after his DTaP shot means it wasn't caused by the shots? That is absolutely ridiculous. There are sooooo many autoimmune disorders on the rise among kids nowadays and no way to prove that they are or aren't caused by vaccines. My son has not had a shot sincee and his younger sister has never had any!
    Anonymous