Extended Formula Feeding

I did a post on one of my groups. My dd is 7 almost 8 months and I am considering not taking her off of formula or bottles until she at least 18 months. My thought is like moms who EBF and let the baby decide when they stop nursing. I mean she'll have food, (fruits, veggies, and pasta and stuff) juice, and milk, but I dont want her off of formula that soon. Please let me know if you are doing this too or if you arent and what reason your not.

Trinity0820

Asked by Trinity0820 at 9:59 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You dont have to take her off of formula, they make a formula for babies 9-24 months as well. And they say that the bottle is bad for new teeth, so you could try to get her onto a sippy cup
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 10:01 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I chose not to because my doctor said that the stage 2 formulas where not much different than regluar formula. I also, decided that dd would get enough nutrients from milk and food. She eats anything and everything. I also figured it wasn't worth the extra cost of the fomula. I know some moms who continued on the stage 2 formula b/c their kids were very picky or just very small.
    Anonymous

• If you do choose to continue feeding her formula try to make sure most of her calories are coming from food, dont let her fill up on formula and skip meals. I gave my son formula (from a sippy cup) until he was 19 months because he was allergic to milk and soy.
    Chandra034

Answer by Chandra034 at 10:53 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I did not because there was no reason to. The boys were receiving their nutrition from food so there was no need for formula. They didn't have weight problems so they didn't need all those extra calories in formula.

You can keep her on formula. It's not necessary if she's eating a balanced diet, though. If you do, as mentioned above, put it in a sippy cup, not the bottle.

Our pediatrician also said the stage 2 formulas weren't that much different than regular formula and not worth the extra money.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:56 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I constantly was told to take my son off formula at 1 year -but i waited cause I loved the snuggle/bottle time we had together before nap and bedtime - well, at about 14 months of age he started being very comforted by his bottle and when he weas finished with his nightime one, he would lay it on my chest to snuggle with it as if it was a stuffed animal and anytime he was sick or tired he would cry for BABA - well, then it was too late- I started him in part time daycare at 16 months and it is a center so they don't give toddlers bottles but I knew i needed to get him off it anyway - well, 4 weeks later almost and he still crys for his baba at night- i think it would be best to get them off before they are too attached to it -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:18 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• You can keep her on till two.. but the reason most (alteast the ones I know) moms who breastfeed past a year do so because of the benifits to the immune system that only breastmillk can give.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:44 AM on Apr. 5, 2009