Kid?

Do you refer to your son or daughter as your "kid?" That has always sounded kind of cold to me. I prefer "child," but maybe I am just weird. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I've recently started to check myself on that. I have a friend who's a therapist/counselor, and she mentioned it to me a few years ago. So, I'll say "boys" more often now...
    jonosmama

Answer by jonosmama at 10:18 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I refer to him as my kid lots of times.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 10:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• It is strange, but I hate saying "my oldest kid"...you know, when I'm only talking about one of my children, but I will say "I'm taking my kids to the park" or "I've got the kids home from school today"...but yes, if I'm talking about one I will either use their name or say "my child"
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:15 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I do say my kid. And i mean, its not like i don't notice that i do it, because i do. A LOT. but its just easier and quicker than to write my child. and im a young mom, and it seems more of a generation thing, but i do notice it and i try not to do it as much as i use to. it does kind of sound.... "cold"
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 10:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I call my kids my kids all the time. I really don't see the problem with it. I was called my moms kid and I turned out just fine.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I do, I also call him son, kiddo, turkey, brat, ,spaghetti,(as in are you Ready Spaghettie, though I just call him spaghettie a lot too....) boy, and lots of other things...who cares.
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 1:04 AM on Apr. 5, 2009