DNA TEST

is there anyway you can have a dna test done before birth of your child? if so any idea of the cost?? PLEASE HELP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It doesnt seem to be very safe. I've heard you can. I wouldnt, I would just wait it out...instead of taking such a big risk. gl
    LoniRae89

Answer by LoniRae89 at 10:12 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Yes but I wouldn't recommend it. They perform an amniocentisis which is where they stick a small needle into your stomach and through your uterus and extract some amniotic fluid surrounding the baby, and test the DNA from that. However there is a chance of miscarriage and other complications and usually a doctor will only agree to perform it for medical purposes only...not for paternity tests. It is probably expensive as well...I am not sure of the cost.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:19 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I read about that a while back, I think it's done roughly the same way as an amnio (long needle in the belly) and has the about the same risk of miscarriage (1 in 200 I think). As for cost, I have no idea, it was in a book in a list of procedures so there was no cost listed.
    heratyc

Answer by heratyc at 10:19 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Don't bother it's 2 risky...i heard some hospitals do one after birth, won't hurt to find out. If not you can look up a site and do one at home, send the results in. That's what i did but i can't tell you which site, the daddy had looked it up.
    meli14k

Answer by meli14k at 10:20 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Yes. An amniocentesis is done to test for genetic testing and provides DNA that can be used for a paternity test. I do not know of the cost for the paternity test. But your OB does amniocentesis's for women who request them. As for safety, it can be dangerous to your baby. I have not had one done during my pregnancies for that reason. I didn't feel it was worth it because of the possibiliy it could go wrong. If you don't want to wait then talk to your Dr about it.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 10:22 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• What they do is called a CVS and they actually take a sample of the umbilical cord. Since it developed from the same cells as your baby it has the same DNA as your baby:they cannot do this from the amniotic fluid. But like others have said, it does have a risk of miscarriage.
    jamesmommy12

Answer by jamesmommy12 at 11:49 PM on Apr. 4, 2009