how can i get my 3 year old to stay in the bed in the middle of the night

please help my 3 year old keeps getting up in the middle of the night and getting into stuff tonight she filled the bathroom floor with water and the other day she pooped in the floor and rubbed it in the carpet and the wall she would get inthe kithchen and get in the food and put it all in the floor i made so her or my other five kids cannot get into the living room or kithchen and now she is messing everything else up i have tried everything please help

mjbw

Asked by mjbw at 10:17 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When my son went through this phase, we made sure that everything in his room was safe and we would put up a baby gate in his doorway at bedtime.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:51 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• my daughter has a gate on her door as well. shes 3 and i found her downstairs one night so i freaked b/c it meant she went down in the dark. a friend of mine put one of those door locks (the child saftey things you have to really squeeze to open the door) on the inside of her sons door so he cant get out at night. maybe tell her if she stays in bed for so many nights she will get a special surprise and it can be a small dollar store toy or a treat she really likes. and then after that extend it by three or four nights and hopefully after that she will be done with it b/c shes been doing it for so long.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:36 AM on Apr. 5, 2009