My 9 year old son has blood in his urine, what could it be?

My 9 year old son has blod in his urine but the test says he does not have a UTI. His blood test showed that his ASO levels were high but I can not get in to see the renal specialist or urologist until May and this is worring me so much. My son has been helthy his whole life and he never even gets viruses anymore. What do you think it is?

momgoingcraz899

Asked by momgoingcraz899 at 10:20 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Kids' Health

• Any time a child has blood in urine/feces/vomit it needs to be brought to a doctor's attention immediately. That is not normal and you need to get him in to see a doctor as soon as you can.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:21 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I'm not sure what it is but isn't that a sign of internal bleeding? Maybe google it? If your family doctor isn't doing anything to help you more than wait till May, maybe take him to the ER. That is NOT AT ALL normal, and you must be going insane! I know if my son was peeing blood I'd be flipping out. I would take mine to the ER immediately if this was my situation. I would take him to fifteen different hospitals if I had to until someone did something about it. Good luck and I really hope everything is alright!!!
    mommykayti

Answer by mommykayti at 10:27 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• UTI was going to be my guess. If it's not that then maybe a kidney stone? I really have no idea. Have you tried looking it up on webmd?
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 10:28 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• It's probably not internal bleeding, but a sign of a really bad infection somewhere in his system. It happens with severe UTI, bladder and kidneys and other organs during infection or kidney stones or bladder stones. Take him to the ER and get some antibiotics. Have them run the tests again. Sometimes the infection doesn't always show up the first time. I have had this happen. If it isn't that I would keep running every test possible. But it could just very well been an overlooked infection or stones of some sort!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Have your doc's office will call the urologists office to schedule you an appt, they usually try to get a sooner appt if the doc's office calls.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 11:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• If it's not a UTI what did the doctor think when the test came back normal???
    My guess is a kidney stone or other kidney problem if it's not an infection.
    I would have him see by a urologist asap.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:20 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I would ask for a urine cup and have him go his very first morning urine too... they might have missed something if he had peed too close to the test. (happened to me before! I had a horrible kidney infection and they didn't think I did because I had already peed earlier... I went back the next day after holding it for a few hours and they were shocked that the day earlier they said it was negative... they said my urine looked awful and I had a really bad infection)
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:23 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I guess I didn't give you guys enough info. We went to his ped and they did a urin test, blood test, and an ultrasound of his kidney and bladder. His blood had high levals of ASO. tHAT MEANS HE HAD A STREP INFECTION WITH NO SYMPTOMS. Therefor it went untreated! The ped called to make te app. at the specialist and the specialist said that his tests and ultrasound did not look urgent.
    momgoingcraz899

Answer by momgoingcraz899 at 11:49 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• my second son had similar issues when he was between a year and 2 years old. ended up being a yeast infection in his uritiers(sp?)... but I also quite frequently get blood in my urine. I have slight kindney damage, and frequent stones. Is it possible that he has a kindey stone?
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:41 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• A sure sign he needs to see a doctor not the opinion of a bunch of moms. He could have a terrible UTI.
    Anonymous