How do I stop the diaper wars with my 10 month old son?

I am having so so so so, I repeat, so so much trouble getting my son's diaper changed lately. He just won't stop moving and he crys and fusses. I've had 2 poop disaters this week so far. It was all over the place. Is this normal behavior for a 10 month old? How can I help it? And when will it stop?

MaMaMo531

Asked by MaMaMo531 at 10:24 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have won the diaper wars with this very simple tactic....the power of distraction. I usually hand the baby a cool toy and tell them to hold it for me. They get so busy staring at the toy they don't squirm as much. It doesn't work everytime, but it works quite a bit. I did this with all four!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:26 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I did/ and do the same exact thing as Steff107... works well for me. Good Luck!
    onyourterms

Answer by onyourterms at 10:29 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• ya, def try the toy distraction.lol...gl
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 10:44 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• rub his stomach with lotion before changing diaper and baby will be relaxed.
    beth98

Answer by beth98 at 10:53 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• We reserve the noisy music playing toys for changing time. They are so enthralled that they just lay still playing with the toy.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:59 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My girlfriend had a very special toy she let her baby play with during diaper changes and ONLY during diaper changes. He was so excited to see teh cool toy he was too busy to notice she was doing anything, also if you arent doing it already changing them on the floor is easier when they are wiggly
    humaniterian87

Answer by humaniterian87 at 11:00 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• that's funny - I've tried the toy and distraction and it never worked for my son - lol! some people told me to figure out how to change him standing up but I refused to let him win this one, if I will be changing him for 2-3 years, i was not going to chase after him, but at 17 months he will still fight me with all he has and even gets to mad at changing times that he hits himself in the face ( which I don't pay any attention to at all or he does it more ) and sometimes have to hold his feet down to prevent him kicking me... ugh!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:25 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• the toy and distraction thing didnt work for me either. i also tried the standing up changing if it was just a wet diaper she still got just as mad. they just dont want to sit still, the best advice i have is to be ready to pin him down while you do it. sit both of you on the floor (with everything already there) put your feet over his so he can't kick and go as quick as possible (if you use your hands to hold his feet as soon as you let go to take off/put on the diaper he'll get free again)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I have done what all of the other previous posters have suggested. Sometimes, they worked, and sometimes, they don't work. There were times that I would sing to each of my children during those difficult diaper changing times. My youngest is 2 and half of the time I have to chase him. He would much rather go around the house wearing wet underwear. I don't understand why all three of my children do/did this. I think that it is just a phase that eventually they outgrow.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:05 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Thank you all! I have tried toys. I've tried things that aren't toys too. Spoons, flashlight, remote controls, nothing works for my guy. I've tried the standing up thing too. I'm a pro at putting on a diaper while he's on his belly even. But he doesn't stay there long anymore. I guess I'm gonna have to try the pin down tactic next. Thanks for your help.
    MaMaMo531

Answer by MaMaMo531 at 5:34 PM on Apr. 5, 2009