How do I explain autism to other kids?

My son is autistic and he screams and throws a huge fit anytime another child comes over to try to play with him. The other little ones usually end up with hurt feelings because they think he doesn't like them. How can I explain autism to other children and let them know it's not that he doesn't like them?

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 10:31 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Where are you bringing your child that this happens? if its not the same kids each time you could just tell the other children that he's special and doesn't know how to act sometimes around other kids and he doesn't know any better
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My younger brother has autism, When kids ask about him, we just tell them that he doesn't know any better and if you keep coming over to play with him that he would get used to them being around. I think the main reason is most children with autism, dont like anything out of their normal routine, Its going to be hard at first, however if that child understand enough and is willing to try to come over more, your child might come around and they might become the best of friends!
    owensmom0622

Answer by owensmom0622 at 11:40 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Depends on the situation and age of the other kids. If they are under 5, I just say 'he is little/younger than you, he doesn't understand' and they seem okay with that answer. If they are older than that, I say 'he has autism, which means he gets scared easily/has a hard time playing with other kids/ just likes to be alone, etc'. Most kids won't ask for any further explanation...and usually their feelings aren't the ones hurt, just yours as mom. :( It will get better though, and and on a positive note, your son's feelings probably aren't hurt by this. :) Both of my sons are on the spectrum, and it is sometimes embarrassing when they act strangely in front of other kids/parents. I usually just act like its no big deal, most kids really don't care that much. I think other kids' parents act more put-out about it than the kids. Use it as an opportunity to spread awareness! My son has autism and this is how he acts- deal with it!!
    Norest4mommy

Answer by Norest4mommy at 1:16 AM on Apr. 6, 2009