how do i get my 2 and 3 year olds off the bottle?

kayla1626

Asked by kayla1626 at 10:32 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• uhh..Take it away and throw it in the trash? they'll be fine after a couple of days of screaming...hows their teeth?? havent you heard of bottle rot?
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 10:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• cold turkey will probably only work at this point. You waited to long.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:45 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• throw them in the trash
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 10:54 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I don't think this will come out any nicer any other way but take the bottle away!!! Just do it! No weaning involved! I mean geeze they can talk! Tell them they are too big for a bottle. Throw them out and give them cups. They'll figure them out, give your kids some credit. They are smart!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:06 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• take it away, and throw it away....
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:37 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• It boils down to just taking them away.
    It might be easier (and nicer) if the bottle fairy visits your house. Here's what I did with my 2 year old:
    First, I hid all but 4 of her bottles. She didn't know any were missing, she had one when she wanted one and that's all that mattered to her.
    Then I told her that the bottle fairy would be coming soon. Since she was no longer a baby, the bottle fairy was coming to take her bottles to a brand new baby.
    I put an empty gift bag outside her bedroom door and every morning, I had her put one bottle in the bag, reminding her that when all the bottles were in the bag, the bottle fairy would come.
    Once they were all in the bag, the bottle fairy came that night. The bag disappeared and a simple toy (a 50 cent punch balloon) was left in it's place.
    Every time she has asked for a bottle, I've reminded her about the bottle fairy. There have been no tears, no screaming.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:46 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Take them alll and put them in the trash! Out of the house!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:08 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Also you could have them go pick out new special cups just for them!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

• Yes i agree with taking it away, but for u, so that u wont be tempted to give them back. I used sippy cups that kinda looked like bottles, and they have a rubber tip that is more like a bottle. try letting them use those. Do they talk and do they understand what you say? because you can always try some way of buliding up some story to make them beilieve the bottles were taken by the bottle fairy or something lol idk try a bunch of things.. theyll be fine after a while =)
    AdrianzMommie

Answer by AdrianzMommie at 12:53 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• PP is talking about nuby cups..they have teeth and they'll chew on them..i would skip that and go to reg cups..
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 2:24 PM on Apr. 5, 2009