If you are Catholic, do you consider yourself a Catholic BEFORE a Christian?

Just wondering, I have met so many Catholics that portray very few characteristics of a Christian, and personally, I want to be a Christian before anything else. They seem to get so caught up in the prayers, mass and novenas, that they forget to be kind, forgiving, and non-judgemental. What is your opionion on this topic?
I am posting anonymous because this is a very personal thought.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• no disrespesct but i'm a catholic and i'm changing to christian beacuse I don't want any part of the church for it's ways are evil,like jesus said in the temple when he threw everyone out your making my fathers house a cave of robbers.CHRISTIANS live up to scripture and have a wholesome life.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 10:58 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• What is your opionion on this topic?

That what you've listed is the exact opposite of what I see. I see Protestants who bend over backwards to harrass and abuse anyone different from themselves, especially Catholics, Mormons and JW's.
    Anonymous

• My son is currently dating a girl from a Roman Catholic family. He says they stress (with an attitude) that they are not Christian rather they are Catholic. That kind of surprised me i too thought Christ would come first. Gee I wonder why the above post posted anon.
    MACY7108

Answer by MACY7108 at 10:59 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• They are the same, but if someone asks what you religion are you I say Catholic. BTW I think you sounded fairly judgemental about Catholics not caring about Christian values. In my opinion the social teachings of the Catholic church (help the poor, education and health care as rights, policy on wars, etc) is very kind, forgiving, and non-judgemental.
    Anonymous

• My opinon on this topic? Well I think it's interesting that you accuse Catholics of being judgemental while at the same time claiming they do not act like Christians are are too caught up in rituals (that I don't think you even understand the meaning of). And I wonder if you're posting annonymously because you know just how judgemental, and "un-Christian" this question is.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:01 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My opinion is that they are not trying to be like Christ. Alot of them are mean and hypocritical. The ones I know are prejudice, judgmental, and arrogant. That doesn't sound like Jesus Christ to me.
    Anonymous

• I don't think I am being judgemental. I am making an observation. I hope that maybe people will read this question and ask themselves if maybe they are getting so caught up in the rituals and forgetting what the main point of religion should be, and that is trying to be a follower of Jesus Christ. And yes I do know what the rituals are about, trust me. I am a cradle Catholic, who is surrounded by Catholics. I go to Church every Sunday, and even teach Chatechism. I just see how some people are getting so seperated from the truth. What good does it do to go to church every Sunday, pray the rosary, go to holy hour and still be mean to people?
    Anonymous

• What good does it do to go to church every Sunday, pray the rosary, go to holy hour and still be mean to people?

What good does it do to go to church every Sunday, hug your neighbor, have praise and worship, and still be mean to people? I think you're trying to make it a Catholic thing rather than admit that it is a Christian thing, denomination is irrelevant.
    Anonymous

Nothing - but why single Catholics out for such accusations?  There are hypocrites in all religions - why claim that someone being Catholic makes them more likely to be hypocritical?  And how is your 'observation' and different than saying something like "The African-Americans I observe are all all ignorant and so caught up in the welfare system rather than trying to do an honest day's work".  You're still being judgemental in how you formed the question by making "Catholics" somehow different from all other "Christians".

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:13 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I don't see that. Some of the nicest, least judgemental people I know are Christian. They have a deep relationship with God and are not necessarily bogged down with all the other things.
    Anonymous