How?????

I just had my baby on March 11th. The doctors said they weren't going to let me leave the hospital without birth control. I left the hospital, no bc. I was wondering, where do I go to get good bc and how much am i looking at? Thanks ladies!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:59 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• usually you can get birth control at a "planned parenthood" type deal, do you have one around in your area, and its free i think, someone can correct me if i am wrong
    LuvsDanika

Answer by LuvsDanika at 11:00 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Congrats on your baby! If you don't have a regular OB/GYN or doctor, you should be able to get some through planned parenthood if there's one near you. If you're breastfeeding, make sure to let them know that. I know Planned Parenthood does a sliding scale for fees. If you have health insurance and get a prescription from your doc, it shouldn't be more than $10/month, but it depends on the insurance. You may be able to purchase it directly from some other walk-in clinics, but I don't know about price.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 11:02 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Go to your OB/GYN at your 6 week check up and get a prescription
    Anonymous

• Thank you ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

• Just curious, why wouldn't they let you leave the hosptial without BC? This sounds odd to me!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:26 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• maybe it was like her 10th kid with no baby daddy
    Anonymous

• Congrats!!!!!! Yes it sounds very odd to me as well that they would not let you leave the hospital without birth control. It is your decision what you want to put into your body. Weird. But you can get birth control from your ob gyn. Good Luck with your baby and again congrats.
    js3mommy

Answer by js3mommy at 12:10 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• wow this is a very important thing actually cause my doc did the same to me. made me wait for my 6 week pp check up before he would TALK About BC. I had told him that I didnt want any more children for at least 5 years. he told me that I had to wait for my period to come in order for him to do the IUD! I asked if he could give me the pill in the mean time cause I didnt wanna take the chance and he said since I was breastfeeding I should be fine. Well my period never came cause I got pregnant the first time I had sex again!! rediculous right?

So use condoms in the mean time and i suggest pressing your doctor on the matter!
    Cause now i have a 4 year old a 8 month old and am 5 n 1/2 months pregnant! AGAIN! grrrr im only 21! :-(

mommyof_2boyz

Answer by mommyof_2boyz at 1:57 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I have two kids and both times I had to wait until my 6 week check up. (you really shouldnt have sex until then anyway) With my first one they put me on the pill then, with my second my one I got a Mirena. My obgyn put it in at my 6 week visit and I was still bleeding. It is supposed to last 5 years and doesnt have the bad side effects of the pill. I have had it for 6 months now and am very happy, I never could remeber my pills.
    girlsx2_2009

Answer by girlsx2_2009 at 12:22 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• No need to be a bitch anon. OP- your OB should be able to help. Make sure you ask about all your options. Not just the 1st pill they suggest. If you don't have insurance or an OB, there's women's medicaid. I got it and went to planned parenthood. I'm uncomfortable with hormones and medication, so I chose the copper IUD. It's normally about $500, but I got it for free. Since it's there for 12 years, it's probably cheaper than pills in the long run.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:13 PM on Apr. 5, 2009