Can't stand your parents?

I hate going over to my parents house and have avoided for awhile but I miss them,they can be nice.I'm depressed that we never had much of a relationship and we always end up fighting when we do see each other.What has your experience been?

countingsparows

Asked by countingsparows at 11:08 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Relationships

• Go but keep your visits short. Less time to get on each others nerves.
    MACY7108

Answer by MACY7108 at 11:25 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• my experience is... both of mine are dead so I wish I could see them again, talk to them.
    I hope that whatever problems you have with them you work them out, because it doesn't take but a second and you could lose them both (mine were divorced but still died less than a month apart and both were only in their 40's, one in freak accident, other with cancer).
    Cherish the moments... .love them even when you don't like them.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 11:17 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• My parents are amazingn people. I am very grateful for the close relationship that we have. On the rare occasion that I am upset with them, I ften think abotu how I would feel if my own children felt a certain way towards me. i never want my kids to "not stand" me or have ill feelings towards me.
    O hope you do go to see them and I hope things work out! Good Luck!!
    onyourterms

Answer by onyourterms at 11:22 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• oops, i just realized there were alot of typo's... sorry, my SS was talking to me, lol
    onyourterms

Answer by onyourterms at 11:23 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I do not have any contact with my parents. Avoid toxic people.
    Anonymous

• Maybe you could avoid the topics that you seem to end up fighting over? I recommend saying "these are trigger points that we need to avoid, we're going to have to agree to disagree" and when one of you brings up that topic just politely say "that's something we don't need to talk about, let's just enjoy the visit today".
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 12:00 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I got the same problem. I love my mom dearly but she lets my son get away with murder. Im not a really strict mother but i do have rules. She won't enforce any so it always ends up WW3. I hate it. I know one day I'll regret not visiting as much.
    bms1208

Answer by bms1208 at 12:03 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• My parents are great.

DH and I (and the rest of the entire family) have problems with his mom. She is an explosive and volitile person. She talks about us behind our backs and uses guilt trips for everything and anything. She's always right and can't stand to be "challenged" (she sees every little thing that doesn't go her way as someone telling her she's wrong or bashing her). She gossips about other family members and spreads people's intimate business. I understand not taking parents forgranted because NO ONE is guaranteed tomorrow. We could all lose our parents at any time and be devestated and wished we had more time with them and less arguements with them. However, you can't force yourself to be in a toxic relationship that hurts you and your family either. You can love people from a distance and still love them lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:36 AM on Apr. 5, 2009