If I wean my breast-fed baby at 10 months, do I HAVE to give her formula?

Is there anything else I can do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They say you should wait til your baby is 12m til you give them whole milk. i have heard people giving whole milk, but for me i would give formula til at lease 12m
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 11:19 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I would suggest formula unless your ped says its ok to feed her/him full solids and milk - my son did not handle the whole milk at 12 m so I still have him on soy at 17 m -i would suggest if possible to hold out til at least 12 m if you can
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:21 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• do you want to wean him from breast milk or the breast itself? you could pump and bottle/sippy cup feed him the breast milk.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:23 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Yes, you have to give formula. Baby is not old enough for cow's milk, and since breastmilk or formula is the main meal, baby would be missing out if not receiving either.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:25 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Do you think it would be possible to pump and store up 2 months worth of breastmilk in 1 month?
    Anonymous

• Formula, pumped milk, or continue nursing.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 11:43 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• " Do you think it would be possible to pump and store up 2 months worth of breastmilk in 1 month?"

It would be an AWFUL lot of work...you'd be doing nothing but pump. If I may ask, what's going on that you think you need to do this? Let's be sure you're not having to jump through unnecessary hoops.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:13 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• You would def have to continue either breastmilk or formula, babies dont get enough nutrients from cows milk..I def suggest that you keep him on it and wait for the cows milk till after he is 12 months.
    Lovingmykids3

Answer by Lovingmykids3 at 12:40 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Why are you asking? Is the cost of formula, or a distrust of what is in formula or a simply curiosity of why the standards are what they are?
    Most would say that breast milk or formula are what is needed before the child is one years old. So, that would mean 8+ weeks of your child consuming formula. I would talk to your doctor about your concerns. Is your child over or under weight? Does your child suffer from low blood iron? Is there any reason why giving your child something other than formula is a bad idea?
    Unfortunately you are asking a question that is hard to answer w/o knowing your child's history. Many mothers would rail against the use of formula. I, however, trust formula so would not dissuade you from using it. However, this is ultimately something you need to discuss w/ your doctor.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 12:45 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I am going to be having surgery when she is 10 months old and I will no longer be able to breast feed. I have no problem with formula except that I have tried giving it to her and she refuses to drink it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:05 AM on Apr. 5, 2009