How can I get my 3 yr old to stay in his new "big boy bed"?

My son has a speech delay so its difficult to explain to him about this new bed. He seems perfectly comfortable in it, but he is giving me problems with not staying in bed at bedtime, and he repeatedly gets out to come find me. Any suggestions from anyone who has already dealt with this?? Thanku!

AdrianzMommie

Asked by AdrianzMommie at 11:22 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Just keep putting him back everytime he comes to find you. I used that technique with my daughter. I learned it off Supernanny. LOL. She is quite informative sometimes.
    pamelajqs

Answer by pamelajqs at 11:26 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I also would go put my daughter back in to bed and I also got her one of those rotating lamps. I got her a Dora one. It helps distract her.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 11:28 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• We just transfered our 20 mo old to a big girl bed. The first time she got out, we took her back and tucked her inand said "stay in your bed and go to sleep". Second time she got a spanken and was escorted back to be, third time, same thing, fourth time, same thing..... its been 4 days now in her big girl bed and she has no problems staying in there. We read books, pray, kiss and hug good night, then she just rolls over and goes to sleep. Same thing with naps.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 12:35 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• my daughter has a speech delay as well. she got her big girl bed when she was about 26 months. i told her she had to stay in bed til the sun came up. she was able to understand that better than until tomorrow. we explained that the sun was up all day now it is sleeping and the moon is watching everything for the sun, and when the sun wakes up everyone can wake up. also i let her pick out a new comforter and sleep set so it was something fun and new she got a part in. not just here you go mommy got this for you and you have to do this. it worked pretty well.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:45 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I put a fishtank in my daughter's room. The light is on a timer, going off at bedtime, on in the morning. I've told her that she must stay in bed until the fish wake up. Once the light is on, she can get up and come out of her room. It's worked pretty well.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:51 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• oh i like the fish tank idea. i wish i had thought of that before i told her the sun is up thing, because there are some days she gets up with the sun and theres not much i can argue with at that point since i'm the one that said it
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:30 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Do you think he would understand getting a reward for staying in bed. My daughter like getting the glow in the dark stars each morning after she had stayed in her bed all night. We attached them to her ceiling with sticky tack and in a few days she had a whole sky full of stars. I put her bedroom light on before bedtime so that when she got into bed the stars would glow as she fell asleep.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 8:46 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I told my son he had to stay in bed til the sun was up and he could see light through his window... He's three now and I still wake up to, "mooooom, the sun is up!"
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 12:36 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• THANKS EVERYONE ILL TRY THE STARS AND THE FISH TANK!!! I ALSO HAVE BEEN DOING THE SUPERNANNIE THING TO, JUST KEEP PUTTING HIM BACK. THANKU AGAIN!
    AdrianzMommie

Answer by AdrianzMommie at 12:46 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• If its a twin sized "big boy bed" try picking up a bed tent and make it fun for him. I gave my son a small flashlight and some glow in the dark stars for his ceiling and now he doesn't have any problems with his bed or bedroom.

Good Luck!
    kara.taylor

Answer by kara.taylor at 6:06 PM on Apr. 7, 2009