Are Catholics Different?

I'm asking this as a serious, honest question. I am not familiar with Catholicism because I was not raised in it. I moved to Minnesota four years ago. Primarily a Catholic area. A lot of people I know say they are devout Catholics and get really, really drunk, live with their SO without being married and have kids with them. A lot of these people only go to church like once a month, or on Easter and Christmas, but they still practice Lent. Is this acceptable for the denomination? I'M NOT SAYING ALL CATHOLICS DO THIS!! I'm just seeing that it is very common out here. My husband was raised Catholic and I was raised Christian so we are just sorting things out!

Steff107

Asked by Steff107 at 11:36 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Oh yeah, the Catholic Church still married one of my friends even though she lived with her boyfriend before they got married. I guess I'm just curious because my church wouldn't marry my husband and I if we were sleeping together before we got married.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Everything you just described are not what "devout" catholics do. i love the ones who say they are devout and they go and do everything theyre not supposed to..lol
    CamnJaydensMom

Answer by CamnJaydensMom at 11:38 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• There's not a whole lot of Catholics around here, mostly Baptists and Menonites and Methodists, but everything you described happens around here all the time, too. Catholics do not have an exclusive on Christian hypocrisy. It's actually harder to get married in a Catholic church than most others.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:44 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I grew up Catholic and have learned that all that stuff happens in any church. It's not just Catholics. Not to mention that a church can't just stop you from getting married because your living together before you get married.
    sarapurser

Answer by sarapurser at 11:47 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• No my church couldn't stop us, but we couldn't get married by our pastor.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:50 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• Nope, none of those things would be considered acceptable by the Church. Not that it means too much to anyone.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:26 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• What you describe are not actions of 'devote' Catholics. But al people (not just Christians and not just religious) can be hypocritical in their actions.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 12:52 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Yes to everything you asked.
    jareda69

Answer by jareda69 at 6:20 PM on Apr. 5, 2009