• In the Spotlight:

What is the best flea stuff for dogs and cats?

My dog is an outside dog and has fleas really bad. I just went out to feed him and came in with fleas crawling all over my legs. Now my indoor cat has fleas. I bought this spray from Hartz for my cat and it's not helping! How do I keep them from getting really bad in the house?

Babydoll1015

Asked by Babydoll1015 at 11:42 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Pets

• flea dip from a pet store.
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 11:52 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• The vet told me that Hartz doesn't work, and I haven't found it to. I use Frontline. It's EXPENSIVE, especially since my cat is so big that I have to use two on him, but I've found that when I put it on both my dog & my cat, they don't itch.

Actually when I first started using it on my cat, I'd see the fleas dropping off of him, dead.
    DivaNCali

Answer by DivaNCali at 12:06 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I second the Frontline. You can get it cheaper at http://www.1800petmeds.com/ . . than at the vet.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 12:17 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Like how expensive is expensive? If it works good then it's worth ,but I kind of want to be prepared on how much it's going to hurt my wallet lol.
    Babydoll1015

Answer by Babydoll1015 at 12:18 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• "advantage"..i dunno if you guys have that in the states or not, im from canada, but ya get it from your vet..its not a prescription or anything tho..its about 65 bucks..and it lasts for 6 months..its a liquid ya put on their skin once a month..its absolutely the best
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 2:50 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• We do have advantage in the States. Which is better Advantage or Frontline?
    Babydoll1015

Answer by Babydoll1015 at 2:53 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• go to the hardware store, they have stuff for your yard to keep the fleas from getting so bad in your yard that your indoor pets get them as well. i've heard that lime rinds can work as well (for the yard that is) as for on the pets themselves, take them to be dipped, while they are doing that bomb the house to get rid of any eggs.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:17 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Frontline. Anything you can get at Walmart is crap and can actually be harmful and even fatal to your pet. If you're going to be a responsibe pet owner you'll have to fork over the bucks to the vet for the right thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:11 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I can not be more serious when i say DO NOT USE ANYTHING HARTZ MAKES!!! Ask any vet, google the name and you will see tons of stuff on how bad it is. I would use the frontline because it deals with fleas and ticks and use it every month!!. Because your dog lives out side you need to take extra special care of him since living outside has exposes him to practically everything out there and since he has the flea real bad you should take him to the vet to be checked for heartworm.
    itsokmomshere

Answer by itsokmomshere at 8:51 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Make a Natural and safe flea and tick spray :
    here is a recipe:

EASY and low cost to make :

Make Bandit's Flea Buster Spray*****

Bandit's Flea Buster Spray: 8 Oz Water, 4-6 Drops of Tea Tree Oil, 4-
    6 Drops of Lavender Oil. Keep in the refrigerator, shake well before
    using and spray lightly, do not soak the coat.

Nature's Sunshine does sell a great tea tree oil and lavender oil...
    here are the links to the oils:

Tea tree
    http://www.mynsp.com/nuvetpetnurse/products/guide.aspx?stockNum=1777
    Lavander
    http://www.mynsp.com/nuvetpetnurse/products/guide.aspx?stockNum=3907

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 9:45 AM on Apr. 5, 2009