My 14 yr old son has ADHA and bipolar and is very aggressive

He was on Vyvanse for a while and it helped tremendously in school, but didn't help the home situation at all. He is very argumentative all of the time, and lies all the time about the littlest thing, even if I just watched him do something he will lie and say he didn't. He has to cause an arguement about everything, and I am at my witts end, I just don't kow what to do, he is out of control. I have tried grounding him and taking stuff away, but I don't know what else to do. He is out of control with the things he says and his attitude, does anyone have any suggestions? Not only is he a 14 year old boy, but I am dealing with the ADHD and bipolar to.

MsVandagriff

Asked by MsVandagriff at 11:45 PM on Apr. 4, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Have you checked out some of the ADHD groups on here? Maybe you could find someone who went through the same thing?
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 11:52 PM on Apr. 4, 2009

• I go through the same thing. My son is 14 and has ADHD and like your son, is always angry. Some of the suggestions I received here were the Vynase, high doses of multivitamins and fish oil. He has been on Stratera which really hasn't done anything for the agression. It's as if he always has to start an argument and I'm afraid to let him go places alone with his friends because he will react if he is doing something he shouldn't and anyone tells him to stop. My son is also verbally abusive to me. I wish I could give you a remedy, but the only thing I can say is that I know EXACT|LY how frustrated and helpless you feel. If I should find any solution to this, I will immediately share it with you. What I am trying to do is find some time away from the situation so that it doesn't take a toll on me mentally, physically and emotionally.
    angel61055

Answer by angel61055 at 1:24 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I have a 13 yr old thats has the same probs,and can be very hateful also,it seems we are always going head to head over something.and it is stressing me out to the max.I love him with all of my heart and it is hard to deal with so I know exactly what you are going through.the only time I get away from hi he whe he goes to his dads and it give us both a break but then his dad dont enforce any rules which means when he comes home he has an attitude that he thinks will get his way which dont work that way in our house.
    geenabelle

Answer by geenabelle at 2:53 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• My son is also bipolar and has ADHD. He is also very angry and out of control. I have been dealing with his anger since he was 11, he is 17 now and We have had him in 3 hospitals and he is on lithium and it really does'nt helpl. My son is facing jail time now because of his anger. All I can tell you is to Love him and don't let anyone tell you its your fault. Alot of people like to blame the parents. I suggest therapy maybe it might help. I hope everythings works out for your son. I know how you are feeling.
    mary211

Answer by mary211 at 11:22 AM on Apr. 6, 2009

• Have you asked his doctor about ODD? Oppositional Defiant Disorder - it's a conduct disorder, which I believe is totally cureable with the proper psychiatric help - left untreated will become permanent and likely cause a troubled adulthood.
    Anonymous

• Here is an ODD link: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/oppositional-defiant-disorder/DS00630
    Anonymous