Does your state do drug testing for welfare?

My state is talking about doing this, and I really, really hope it passes. I find it unfair we get tested for jobs, but people getting assistance aren't held to the same requirements. Do you think it's a great idea or awful?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:33 AM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Texas does
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 12:37 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I do think its a good idea. its not fair to give away mney to people who do drugs!
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 12:38 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I think it's a great idea, but what if mommy fails and gets denied assistance? How is her baby going to eat? Thats the only concern I have about it, but I'm sure they have taken this into consideration.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• as far as i know they do when they first get in... but i think they should randomly do it, every once in a while... i knew a lot of people back home that smoked green and other things that got fs
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 1:11 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• anon. :41... wic doesn't pee test... if the mom is doing drugs, she doesn't deserve to have her baby... i know a couple people who want children who can't have them that don't do drugs and are good citizens
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 1:12 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Does your state do drug testing for welfare?

I don't think so, anybody out there know if WA State tests?

The IDEA of testing is a great one, in actual practice, the government would screw it up like they do everything else.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:23 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• No of course not.. There there is no eveidence to show that people on welfare are more likely to take drugs than people not on welfare so testing for drugs would just stigmatise people further who are already disadvantaged and stigmatised enough.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 1:44 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I am in TX and get assistance but have never been drug tested. I have been asked and I do not and I think they should drug test but my part of TX does not. They harassed me though and said they can pull my record to see if I had any drug related criminal offenses. My record is clean and so am I but the same case worker never finished my case and my daughter had no medical for 6 months waiting in dispute.
    kristalee83

Answer by kristalee83 at 2:56 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• In theory it sounds great, but in practice it would be a huge failure and just cost even more money. What would happen to the children whose parents lost assistance, foster care? Who do you think pays for that?
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 3:12 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Quoting Anon 10:41: "what if mommy fails and gets denied assistance? How is her baby going to eat?"

Maybe she should have thought about that BEFORE she chose to be a druggie and seek assistance. If she's got money for drugs, she shouldn't have any problem feeding her baby. (Just like people have no problem finding money for their booze and cigarettes, they can find money for food.) If she/they can't, they should take the baby away because she's/they're too irresponsible to be a mother in the first place.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:53 AM on Apr. 5, 2009