My son is 3 1/2 years old and he is still in diapers. He just don't want to use the bathroom. I tried everything and just don't know what to do

Do you know of someone his age and still in diapers too or he is the only one !!!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes I know of a girl still in diapers at 3. For a boy Its pretty common. my son was potty trained at that age. I tried sooner but he wouldnt.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• my daughter is 3 and 4 months....we still arent potty trained. every once in awhile she will go get on the potty or if she is in the tub she tells me if she has to pee....but not 100% yet. which considering that she will get on it on her own sometimes and tells me while in the tub...i take full responsibility for her not being trained. i mean obviously shes ready.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:40 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• My son loved wearing diapers! but when he turned 4 yrs old, I could not bring myself to buying more diapers. until my son's 4th bday, he refused to use the potty..drove me nuts! lol! So on his 4th bday I talked to him about diapers being just for little kids, and he was 4 now and was no longer a little kid, but a big kid now. So we went and picked out different ypes of underwear, he would pee his pants...So I stopped with the underwear and just put pants on him (just sweats because I worried about his"stuff" and getting it irritated)
    I keep pullups on at night and they come off first thing in the morning.
    He is 4.6 yrs now and I just take it one day at a time and never express any negative feelings even though I have ahuge investment in underwear that is pretty much unused!
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:46 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I forgot to mention that when he wears underwear he wets himself and when he doesn't wear underwear he does just fine
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:48 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• ur defiantely NOT alone, my son is 3 and 3 months and he reFUSES to use the potty. hes seems very uncomfortable not waring a diaper. im in the same spot as u i dnt know wat to do!! i offer him to use the potty, and pretend his stuffed bear has to use it... but he wont budge =(
    AdrianzMommie

Answer by AdrianzMommie at 12:48 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• SS (turning 5 in June) is in training pants still (I call the pull-ups his Pampers. He wears them at his mom's house. He wears cloth training pants at our house, we call them undies.)
    We do early potty training with DS, though. He's 18 months old and already going on his own.
    Don't push your kid, though. Every child is different. SS is having more fun showing DS how to potty, than actually doing it himself most of the time. Good luck with it. He'll do it when he's ready.
    Kenre

Answer by Kenre at 3:10 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Hi there, My son is 3 1/2 yrs. old to and yes, he is in pull ups still. He will do the number two on the potty but, the other we are still working on it.... I let him pick out he own under wear and I will put them on and ask over and over if he needs to potty. I have been doing this for two weeks and he is staying dry for 3 to 4 hours before he wets himself. It's a job! We have a Gator money bank and if he uses the potty he will feed one coin for pee pee and three for number two. The whole house feeds the Gator. LOL... We have a potty book and it really seems to work when you read the book to him at least 50 times day!!! Really it's hard when your caught up with cleaning and etc. but, I have made it on my chore list to get this little guy trained. He has loose fitting clothes on so it can be easy for him to help his self in the bathroom. I have alot of soft soap too for bubbles so he can wash and wash. Lots of luck.
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 5:24 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• my SS didn't become potty trained until about 1-2 months after I came into the picture. He was about 3.5yrs. so you are not alone. Once my SS was ready it was a piece of cake. I made a big deal about being a big boy. I also told him once he basically had the hang of it that I would throw away his undies (which had action figures and such on them) away if he had an accident. This was mainly because I was not going to sit there and try to clean out a bunch of poop from his undies. But it helped cause he didn't want his batman, spiderman, or superman undies going in the trash. I only had to throw one pair away. lol.

Give him time. Keep encouraging him. Good luck!
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 11:28 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• You are not alone! My 3 yr old son is still in diapers and i 19 weeks pregnant with my second child. I have tried a few different things but he just refuses to use the potty. I feel like a failure sometimes and it's also alittle embarrassing that he is still in diapers and most of the other little boys he plays with are potty trained! I catch alot of flack from the other moms for "still having him" in diapers. But i have to admit i really don't know how to potty train!
    mizzjoi816

Answer by mizzjoi816 at 10:55 AM on Apr. 26, 2009