Is my DD allergic to her formula?

Okay I have a 10 week old daughter and for most feedings i nurse her but she has to have enfamil multivitamins with iron and if i give it to her straight from the dropper she spits it up about 20 min later. as a result we mix it with her formula. Recently though i have noticed that after she has a bottle she is very fussy and i am curious is it possible that she could have developed an allergy???

She is currently using Similac Early Shield Advanced.

taleasoldastime

Asked by taleasoldastime at 1:14 AM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She could be lactose intolerant. My baby was and still is @ 5.
    faithful78

Answer by faithful78 at 1:26 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• she doesn't fuss after nursing though??
    taleasoldastime

Answer by taleasoldastime at 1:27 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Some babies just in general have a hard time. Even on lact free milk my baby still was. But I had a preemie and she was tiny so IDK... poor baby!!! :) My dd had a hard time going to the bathroom so, she was always fussing over something. At first they thought she had refulx and she was taking zantc... it never helped!!! But sitting her up right after eating helped like in a bouncer or even a carseat in the house. Sometimes I let her sleep propped up.
    faithful78

Answer by faithful78 at 1:30 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• It may be that formula. My daughter started out on Enfamil in the hospital. Well the first time I bought formula I bought Similac not realizing it would make a difference. She was constipated for days when she was on that. So I switched her back to Enfamil and didn't have any problems. So I would try a diff formula. Or she could be getting more air than she does while breast feeding since she isn't used to the bottle so she may need to be burped more often
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:35 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I had the same problem with my youngest son who i was also nursing. He would throw up every oz of formula he ate. So I switched him to similac sensitive... that stopped the fussiness and he stopped throwing up. its in an orange can. I highley recommend it! It worked wonders for my little man!
    mommyof_2boyz

Answer by mommyof_2boyz at 1:47 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• it could be the formula my son had a hard time with formula till my doc put him on simalac alimentum its for colic and its hypoallerginic he also has acid reflux but i would talk to ur doc and see if theres a differnt kind of vitamins she could try mayb its not the formula at all just like the formula my son went thru 3 diff meds for the reflux and would either spit them up or get really fussy after taking them
    cocobutt2002

Answer by cocobutt2002 at 2:02 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Probably not an allergy. She might be having reflux, being overfed, or have trouble with lactose
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:36 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• We started with that formula and it gave my little girl really bad constipation and horrible gas. Her belly would get so hard. Then a friend recommened Good Start (in the orange can). It helped out tons but still had some crying all day. So my mom suggested soy cause she thought it could be milk allergies. We just started soy yesterday and its been a lot better so far. I have milk allergies and have since I was a newborn...same with my sister. We all were on soy.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 9:34 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• theres no need for those multivitamins and they can be mixed with BM, so just stop the formula no need to contaminate her tummy and cause her issues...formula is insanely hard to digest and introduces all kinds of bacteria and contaminants that asren't in BM to your babies digestive tract...
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/bf/supplement.asp
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:48 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I would say talk to your doc. There are many ways for a baby to react to formula. My first daughter just threw up ALL the time, and I dont mean just spitting up she would throw up nearly everything. My second daughter got recurring ear infections. It sould crazy but she had ear infection for 3 months straight practically. They would give her meds and it would clear up for about a week and them come right back. Our ENT suggested we try soy forumula, she was already on lactose free. We changed and she has never has another ear infection. So I would see the doc and get thier advice. In my experience I would say it is the formula. Good luck.
    girlsx2_2009

Answer by girlsx2_2009 at 12:07 PM on Apr. 5, 2009