Why is it

that people say "Well so and so is Catholic/Baptist/Methodist but they live with their SO or they get drunk" in effect saying they don't life a Christian life but these same people get upset when they find out that Jehovah's Witnesses Disfellowship those who are Baptized members for willfully and unrepentantly sinning. Yes, I have had many people tell me that is wrong.

lisarose45

Asked by lisarose45 at 1:18 AM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• it seems your beliefs some what follow the beliefs of my faith. in the mormon church if you are sinning and they are severe sins like adultery, child abuse or the like you are excommunicated from the church. you are still allowed to attend cause the best way to return to him is to attend church but if you don't follow the repentance process and try to convert back to the lords standard you are not a member of the church. some people think it's harsh but i see it as a way for someone to take responsibility for their actions and work on the repentance. if they are just merely asked to stop and try not to do it anymore sometimes isn't enough incentive to get back their standing in the church. the church has an obligation to get the members of the church to have a moral standard and setting ways for members to grow is one way. so there are consequences just as you would place on your children.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 2:58 PM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Ummm...kay? Sorry but my stupid is showing lol...I'm sorry people judge your religion?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I think it's because, although, the person talking doesn't believe that "so and so" is really living an example of what Christian life should be like (to most Christians), a lot of people also don't believe that the Church should ever close its doors, so to speak, or turn away from those who still want to learn & follow thier religion. A lot of people think that is the time to go even a little bit overboard with caring & concern for the person, to hopefully help them turn life around, & back to God. 

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 1:25 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I agree with Bubbaluva.

All I have to add is I was raised Christian ( Baptist) and was always taught Jesus would never turn his back on anyone, regardless of what they do so we should never turn our backs on anyone either. The whole concept is to be as Christ-like as possible but not to stop being Christian just because your fellow Christian is not. You lead by example and support the person, not judge or abandon them.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 1:34 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• But the Bible teaches that those (After having knowledge of what is required by God) that reject or turn away from following are to be expelled from the Christian Congregation and this is only after receiving  loving counsel from the Bible to help the people to turn around from their wrongful course.This was even done under Jewish Law, the Sanhedrin was the Highest religious court  and they carried out expulsions or disfellowshipping so it was not unknow or new that it was also carried out in the Christian Congregations. 1 Cor 5:5, 11, 13; 1 Tim 1:19, 20 ; 3 John 9,10.

lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 2:06 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• So if a religion is condemned by some because that religion allows people to continue to sin after they are Baptized, I don't get why those same people get upset that we as JW's don't allow someone who is conducting their life in a way that they KNOW is wrong to remain as an active member in good standing, and no we don't close our doors to anyone, they are always welcome to come to any meetings because how else would they be able to make progress to be reinstated once they have stopped their wrong conduct and be welcomed back...
    lisarose45

Answer by lisarose45 at 2:12 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Well, I am not going to say the Bible doesn't say that but, that is not how my family/church ever would have done it because Jesus Christ never would have done it himself. Humans make up their own laws etc. but Jesus was perfect. At least that is how I was raised.

Also, the verse Matthew 18:22 ( I think). You must forgive seventy time seven or something of that nature. I am sure you know what I am talking about ;)

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 2:15 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Easy, they are criticizing Catholics and JW because they are neither. I'm sure if it happens (either extreme) in their own church, there's a very good excuse for it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:18 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I have a question, from what I have understood you don't believe in hell. So why does it matter if someone is living with their SO? or drinking? They aren't going to be with God in heaven anyway, and they won't be punished, right? So why not just let them do what they want? If I had those beliefs I would be a drunk mess. LOL.

Not at all being rude, just wondering.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Well, I am not going to say I know why they actually criticize JWs for that because I don't know personally. I do understand that is is hard though because of the reasonsI said before. I personally feel it isn't necessarily right ( probably because of how I was raised).But  I do not judge the policy/procedure myself because I have never studied or followed the JW faith, it wouldn't be right of me to question it! I can only speculate why some are bothered by it :)

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 2:22 AM on Apr. 5, 2009