Do you think a family of 4 can live off of $800.00 a month for....

groceries, entertainment, gas, and misc. (toothpaste, t.p., shampoo, cleaning supplies, etc.)
We are trying to save up for a house so I'm making a budget. If we can get this to work we will be able to bank 2500/month.
I know this depends on how much entertainment we want to have, etc. but generally speaking do you think we can make this work? I have never budgeted before.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:31 AM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would think so. My family which is 5 does. When broken down, I spend $200 every other week at the grocery store and then about $50 every other week on cleaning supplies, soaps, toiletries and diapers. For me it comes down to making a menu and only buying what is on my list for those meals and then using coupons, lots of coupons. We eat out once a week for around $30 so that is up to $560. Then the kids and I eat at McDonalds for a playgroup once a week and that is around $10 so now that up to $600. My hubby fills up on gas once a week which is $160 a month that brings us up to $760 and I fill up once every other week for about $40 which actually brings the total up to $840. So it is a little bit over but it can be done. I look for entertainment that I can pack lunch and does not cost a lot of money, much easier during the summer. Good luck you guys can do it!!
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:42 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Depends on what expences you have. Does this include your rent, utilities? I know all my bills are under $800, but our house and cars are paid for.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:33 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• i say give it a shot and let us know :) i really dont know what to tell you...im trying to work out a budget right now too because we've never actually given ourselves one but we want to save for a house too...so seriously if it works i'd love to know!
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:34 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• No this does not include our car, rent, utilities or any other bills. This just includes groceries, entertainment and misc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I think so. What you might want to do is write down what you spend on those things for a whole month. Look at how much you spend on groceries, gas and entertainment, for a whole month. If you're over your $800, look at what you might be able to cut out. Good luck.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:36 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• umm Id hope so, since its only for what u wanna do.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:38 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• If you make a budge try your best to stick to it. I am bad about spending money, usually on my son, he is a bit rotten. But if you really want to buy a house, it will take a bit of saving and the desire to save.
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 2:38 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• no way... family of 4?? what are the ages??? we have a family of four now.. (20..me 23..hubs..16..bro and 2..son) and there is NO WAY we could live off of $800 including food...

i would say start with total budget... take out rent, and electric ... all the major bills, foods... everyday supplies.. then see what u have left... try to bank everything u can out of that...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 2:40 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• oh yea... and we live on an army base and don't pay rent, or electric...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

• Nooo this only includes groceries, food, and misc. items. This doesn't include student loans, cars, rent, phone none of that!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:42 AM on Apr. 5, 2009