Attention all Breastfeeding Nazis!

I know, I know it's an offensive, rude term but I wanted to grab your attention and couldn't resist : )
Anyways, I was just reading an article about bfing and it said that mom should not read a book, magazine, watch TV, or go online while bfing because it takes away from the baby and your whole focus should be on baby. Now don't get me wrong I am all for quality time with my baby. He is almost 4 months now and the longest I have left him is to take a shower. But I think this may be taking it a bit too far. I spend a few hours a day bfing and it gets a little boring. For the first few weeks all I did was stare at him in amazement and that really gave me a sore neck! Now that he knows what he is doing I let him do his thing. So what do you think of this? Should mom always give undivided attention to baby while breastfeeding?

AnnaMac

Asked by AnnaMac at 2:40 AM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Dear God no. How boring would that be? During the night I used to sleep while breast feeding, during the day I would do homework (I was a single mom, college student at the time), if I did take a break I would just close my eyes and use the time to relax. When she was under a month, I probably gave her my undivided attention, but after that, no way.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 2:43 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• why would that have to apply only to breastfeeding moms? i mean i dont agree with it, but i think alot of people try to make it out that you can only bond with your baby if you breast feed....
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:49 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• It was an article on breastfeeding, that is why I addressed it to bfing moms. Not trying to exclude anyone. Just asking a question to a group of people.

AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 2:50 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• oh i know hun, i wasnt being argumentative with you, sorry if it came across that way. i was just saying alot of articles about breastfeeding make it out that way.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 2:52 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I don't think you have to ALWAYS be staring soulfully into your baby's eyes when you're nursing (or ff, for that matter). But I do think that moms need to be careful that they don't end up doing something else most of the time, because it is a bonding time.

In fact, there was a lot of times I would sit in my recliner and nurse my dd while I had my ds tucked in next to me in the chair, reading him a story, basically doing "double duty" during my sitting down time ;-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 3:07 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I wouldnt read while I fed my kid.. ckoking haszard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:12 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• How is reading a choking hazard? Just wondering.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 3:16 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Yeah, I wouldn't read or go online either. JMO.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:21 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• You know, you didn't need the rude epithet. **grin**

Don't know what article you were reading, but it's dead wrong and ridiculous.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:39 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• No!!! Like you said, neck pain! I think just being comfortable is the best thing while breastfeeding. I watch tv. I cant read because he will grab for the book (and phone)
    jocemiah

Answer by jocemiah at 3:46 AM on Apr. 5, 2009