peeing or spraying??

My cat goes around and pees on things, not all the time. But from time to time. Most of the time it's clothes/blankets, but today I caught him on a plastic bag which makes me wonder if he's just peeing for fun. I thought spraying was supposed to me more against the side of something and be different from pee. And if he is peeing, is there a way to make him stop? Oh, and he does still have his balls, which may be part of it, but it doesn't appear to be normal signs of spraying so I just don't know.... PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BeccaBoo518

Asked by BeccaBoo518 at 3:08 AM on Apr. 5, 2009 in Pets

• please dont take offense, but does he do it when the liter box gets too dirty for him? my cat will not pee in her liter box if its too dirty.
    shes fixed but before that she would pee on stuff even when her liter box wasn't dirty. so that may be something to consider as well. fill a water pistol with water, spray him with it when you see him start to do it, that worked for my cat when it came to scratching things, wouldnt hurt to give it a try and see if it'll work for that too
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:11 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I just cleaned the litter box before the incident today so I know that's not it now. Every once in a while I'll catch him when the litter box hasn't been cleaned for a day or two so it's got some stuff in it and I'll justify it by it not being cleaned, but that's not it. And 99% of the time, I don't catch him peeing, I catch him right after or way after once it's dried.
    BeccaBoo518

Answer by BeccaBoo518 at 3:13 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• i'm sorry, i have nothing else i can suggest. hopefully someone else will think of something for you
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 3:15 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• I volunteer for a stray and feral cat shelter in my area and sometimes we do get cats that dont know how to use the litter box (i know this isnt your case) so what we do is we have a room that we lock the cats in until they have learned to use the litter box with the help of cpl of kitties who already know how. But what you can do since he already knows how to use it is lock him in a bathroom to where ever you want (preferably somewhere with know carpeting) and keep him in there until you see he is using his litter box. How old is he and how old was he when he started peeing everywhere?
    itsokmomshere

Answer by itsokmomshere at 8:42 AM on Apr. 5, 2009

• Mine male cat will pee if his cat box is dirty... with 3 cats it gets that way quick so I clean it daily...
    Spraying is when he is standing along side something and pees (sprays) that is also know as marking his area... his space...
    Maybe buying a whole new kitty box... I know we have to do that several times a yr altho we empty and wash it out, some cats will start using other areas outside their box to pee if there maintains some sort of odor to the plastic of the box...
    Also much older cats with age will pee all over bc of lack of kidney/bladder control... due to age... you may want to talke to your vet for some suggestions...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 4:54 PM on Apr. 5, 2009